cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chenheffer
Viewer

A few questions on the CISSP certification path

A few questions on the CISSP certification path:

1. For someone who plans on taking a CISSP training and would like to know if they must take the training with ISC2 affiliate or can they take a CISSP bootcamp with anyone else?

2. Are those individuals allowed to purchase the ISC2 CISSP CBK books anywhere in the market or is it only with local ISC2 affiliates?

3. I heard about cases when the local affiliate was threatening to file a law suit against private companies who offer CISSP training with ISC2 CISSP CBK, and the individuals who took training with a non-affiliate companies. Is this true? Are those companies at risk of a law suit for competing with the local ISC2 affiliate on bootcamps and such? Are those individuals at risk of a law suit for attending CISSP training programs outside ISC2?

Appreciate the community's insights on this.

3 Replies
denbesten
Community Champion

The CBK is available from Amazon.  Anyone may purchase it.  Personally, I recommend the Conrad and Harris books over the CBK.

I would avoid training companies that are not approved by ISC2 so that you don't risk throwing away money on something of unknown quality.   ISC2's training link has a whole bunch of useful information.

John
Newcomer III

1:  You can take the test prep anywhere, with anyone.  They cannot use the ISC2 logo, say they're associated, or claim accreditation without actually being ISC2-approved, but you're free to learn from anyone you'd like.

2:  As previously stated, all the study material is readily-available.  I liked both the Harris books and the CBK for different reasons.  Whatever you buy, make sure you get the test simulator software with it.  It really helps.

3:  ISC2 wouldn't have much of a leg to stand on when it comes to test prep, unless the test prep company was doing something stupid like using the ISC2 logo, claiming affiliation, or using actual exam questions in test prep.  You, as a customer of the offending party, should be exempt from any liability.  However, I'd super-highly recommend sticking with an ISC2 affiliate.  Why?  They can use actual test questions during the training.  They don't use current questions, but they do use past ones, which gives you a ton of insight into the nature of the questions you'll encounter on the exam.  The seminars aren't cheap, but this is the kind of test you don't really want to take twice.

Good luck!

---
You only say it's impossible because nobody's done it and lived.
mouandaguy
Newcomer III

I would recommend to avoid the boot camp (sometimes waste of money) and buy Harris books