Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Champion

Add an Off Topic Forum?

Let's get a thread going instigated by comments in a separate problem-member thread.

Should we ask for an additional forum in the community for discussions not clearly related to infosec? 

Potential use could be for political issues not directly linked to infosec, travel discussions, hobby chat, even recipes useful for the house-bound during the COVID Great Hunkering. 

We all realize that some of the topics might become toxic, so some basic standards of civility should be declared and followed. 

Based on other comments, I imagine William @denbesten , Rob @rslade , DIana @dcontesti , Rachel @AppDefects , Kenneth @CISOScott , and @Shannon  might all want to vote here.

@AndreaMoore  can monitor for a while and let us know how the idea flies.

Personally, I am all for adding this non-infosec discussion area.

Craig

Dr. D. Cragin Shelton, CISSP
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
https://CraginS.blogspot.com/
My Community Profile
My LinkedIn Profile
href="Not Passing a Cert Exam is Not the Same as Failing" target="new";;https://cragins.blogspot.com/2018/08/pass-rates-for-professional-exams.html
5 Replies
Highlighted
Community Champion

Re: Add an Off Topic Forum?

I vote yes.

This message may or may not be governed by the terms of
http://www.noticebored.com/html/cisspforumfaq.html#Friday or
https://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/1468
Highlighted
Community Champion

@CraginS wrote:

Let's get a thread going instigated by comments in a separate problem-member thread.

Should we ask for an additional forum in the community for discussions not clearly related to infosec? 

Potential use could be for political issues not directly linked to infosec, travel discussions, hobby chat, even recipes useful for the house-bound during the COVID Great Hunkering. 

We all realize that some of the topics might become toxic, so some basic standards of civility should be declared and followed. 

Based on other comments, I imagine William @denbesten , Rob @rslade , DIana @dcontesti , Rachel @AppDefects , Kenneth @CISOScott , and @Shannon  might all want to vote here.

@AndreaMoore  can monitor for a while and let us know how the idea flies.

Personally, I am all for adding this non-infosec discussion area.

Craig

I vote yes.

Highlighted
Community Champion

I vote no.

I would rather we try to keep the community focus on all-things-infosec, which can include things such as professional development, career/job, membership growth and even (ugh) member support.

I am OK with mild and occasional drifts off-topic, particularly when it comes from long-term and well-reputed posters.  The OK, *now* we're in trouble topic is an excellent example both of an appropriate off-topic discussion and also represents the limit as to how far the community should drift.

However, I feel we need to actively discourage people from joining our community just to post incendiary or highly politicized comments, particularly when they have a minimal/non-existent tie to security.  I see no reason to create a venue that would associate the (ISC)² name or reputation  with conversations along the line of what CISSP35500E initiated.

If one wants to discuss presidential candidates, politics, recipes or hobbies, Reddit is an excellent venue.

Highlighted
Community Champion

I also vote no.

d

Highlighted
Community Champion

My vote is NO --- here's my justification : -

If we offer members the option to express themselves / put up queries on just about anything, we're soon drift away from the core reason for having this community.

1) Before I make any posts here, I usually do a search, just in case there's already something relevant. Now imagine a user like CISSP35500E posting stuff like what we saw, and including words related to Information Security in it, as well as tagging it to increase the probability of the post being found & read.

If non-relevant things show up in search results, it will be frustrating.

2) Moderating the community does require effort. We sometimes see posts in the wrong places / violating guidelines, but they relate to Info Security --- most of the time.

If members start making posts about all sorts of things, scattering their posts everywhere, it will cause chaos for both moderators & other members.

This community is related to an Information Security certification, so it should at least live up to it's name.

Shannon D'Cruz,
CISM, CISSP

www.linkedin.com/in/shannondcruz