Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Phobos1968
Newcomer I

How to promote engagement into the (ISC)2 chapter and reduce churn

To all my fellow (ISC)2 chapter's membership chairs, I hope you are all doing fine.

I am definitely a rookie but I love my job role at the (ISC)2 Thames Valley chapter and I want to improve always for the benefit of my chapter, to keep up the 4th (ISC)2 canon and my personal experience.

I'd love to hear or read from you how do you promote members' engagement and reduce churn please? Another delicate matter I need to improve is this: how you increase the number of people who accept to pay the chapter's annual fee? In our case it is a very symbolic cost (£20) but my goal is to reach out the highest number of people convincing them that it is a great investment because generates a pot that can be used for many social activities (now that Covid-19 is no longer a barrier).

Looking forward to reading from you, I wish you all a super great week ahead.

Take care all!

Best

Carlo Petrini

(ISC)2 Thames Valley Chapter Membership Chair

6 Replies
cindelicato
Contributor I

It is a difficult task. Our chapter was an hour from Philadelphia, PA, and we had trouble attracting members and thus had trouble attracting speakers. After four years, we disbanded the chapter in 2018, with the half-dozen 'sustaining' members staying in touch. We participate in events at other Chapters - often an hour or more drive away.
tmekelburg1
Community Champion

@Phobos1968 Do a quick 5 minute after-action-review (AAR) after the meeting to get a better picture of how the members thought the training went. These questions can be changed to your liking but this is what I go off of. I also do this after some of our larger work projects.

• Objective (What was the meeting about?)
  • Did we accomplish the objective? (Simple yes or not)
  • What went right? (Strengths)
  • What went wrong? (Weaknesses)
  • What can we improve for next time? 

I'd want to find out what their key takeaways were, if they thought the training was relevant, convenient time, and location. Also, what topics they would like to see in the future. If some people need to drive longer than 30 minutes, I'd also setup a videoconference along with the in person meeting. They need to feel there's an ROI to keep consistently paying and showing up.   

My favorite meetings were when we didn't have any speakers. We would do a security round table and discuss issues and possible solutions. It was guided by a facilitator to help keep the conversation going, if need be.      

Phobos1968
Newcomer I

@tmekelburg1 : thank you for the detailed answer and precise suggestions! I will share these ideas with the chapter's president. Take care!
Best
Carlo
Phobos1968
Newcomer I

@cindelicato: thank you for your honest feedback. My fear is exactly that: slow erosion of interest and participation and consequent closure of the chapter.
Shilpa
Newcomer II

@Phobos1968, I have arranged lunch and learn sessions for a different organization's chapter in the past.
People used their lunchtime to attend these events and earned continuing education credits. Speakers also earned credits and received a nice plaque from the chapter.

First, if possible get a sponsor who would allow use of their facility every month. Then plan the events on a set day and time. e.g. say every second Tuesday of the month.  That way, you don't have to remind people. Advertise the event well in advance everywhere. Keep the topics simple and of general interest, not too specific.
Always welcome new attendees at the beginning of the program. After every session ask for feedback.
If people see value in attending, annual fee won't be a problem. Good luck!

Phobos1968
Newcomer I

Thank you very much ShilpaNewcomer II! All suggestions that we are going to apply in the coming months indeed. Cross fingers then!

Take care!

Best

Carlo