Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Newcomer I

Why does it take 3 months to send a certificate?

We have all studied hard to earn our certifications, no? We have to wait 6 weeks to be fully endorsed then another 12 weeks to get our hard earned physical certificates? Am I alone thinking we worked hard and deserve better? Im sorry but the CISSP is a milestone and should be able to physically hold our certificates in our hands to show our teams/ bosses/ execs/ etc.. within a reasonable amount of time. Forgive me if I am just being petty but the pressure and anxiety that comes with testing for that certification should earn an expedited response to our hard work. 

Debate Please

22 Replies
Community Champion

Re: Why does it take 3 months to send a certificate?

I originally thought that the US Federal Gov was the only agency that moved at a snails pace. Having been a CISSP for a year I found that second organisation.

Viewer III

+1 - I'm all for ensuring the purity of the certification; however, 18 weeks of waiting is a bit ridiculous. TBH, the first 6 weeks is really driving me crazy, but I guess it is what it is.

Community Manager

We order new certificates for new members (and renewed members) in batches. It's the most efficient way to print. So we don't immediately send your cert to print as soon as you become a member. It happens within a few weeks, once we have our list put together. Then the print job is started and then there is assembly (the kit itself, adding your lapel pin, etc.) and then, finally, mailing. I'm sorry we haven't been faster, but I'll certainly pass on your feedback in case there's any way we can improve. 

Newcomer II

It would be nice if you could communicate as batches are processed & sent out. A postiing that reads something like "certificate kits for CISSPs certified between July 1 - July 27th 2019 are at the printer, and scheduled to be mailed the week of October 5th" would go a long way, especially for folks who have to make arrangments for oversized mail...

Jim Scardelis, CISA, CISSP, PCI 3DS, PCIP, CIPP/US, CIPP/C, CIPP/E, CIPT, MCSE

Any views or opinions contained in this communication are solely those of the author, and do not necessarily represent those of any organizations or entities the author may be associated with.
Advocate II

Previously, certificate packages would arrive in around 6-8 weeks. However, the last 2 I've received this year have taken 11+ weeks. I'm still waiting for my ISSMP certificate package to arrive which will have been 11 weeks this coming Monday.

Sadly, it's just symptomatic of a general decline in service levels from ISC2. The management have failed to scale their support and operations in line with the growth of the membership. As well as the support and operations having been severely hampered with the disastrous digital end-to-end (DETE) transformation programme we've all had to endure.

Hopefully, my certificate package will arrive in the next 10 days or so before the 12 weeks has passed, but I'm not holding my breath for the support issues I logged over 2 months ago to be resolved any time soon.

Newcomer II

Well, I'm not surprised at the longer timelines for receipt of physical certificates, lapel pins etc. in general, given the current world trend away from physical items. Most other certifying bodies have stopped providing anything other than a printed certificate, which is pretty much identical to the downloadable one, only printed on better paper and higher quality than the typical home inkjet can do. It's common to order physical items in batches as well, and I wouldn't be surprised for batching to be quarterly, such that it could take from 1-12 weeks for the batch with your cert to ship.

However, what I do find problematic is, as you noted, the decline in service level and apparently inability to appropriately set expectations and meet SLAs. Digital transformation projects are supposed to make those things better, and more transparent, and it's quite surprising when an organization made up of information systems experts is so negatively impacted by the transformation process. I mean, the planning and migration processes that should have taken place aren't all that different from BC/DR planning or planning change and configuration management processes. 

Any views or opinions contained in this communication are solely those of the author, and do not necessarily represent those of any organizations or entities the author may be associated with.
Advocate II

• My CCSP was awarded in Nov 2018 - I received the certificate package 6 weeks later.
  • My ISSEP was awarded in Feb 2019 - I received the certificate package 11 weeks later.
  • My ISSAP was awarded in June 2019 - I received the certificate package 11 weeks later.
  • My ISSMP was awarded in July 2019 - 11 weeks will have passed as of tomorrow but I'm still waiting.

I don't think this is anything to do with a trend against physical items. If anything ISC2 have actually improved the certificate package and increased what you receive in it now. Before it was just the certificate and membership card which were sent in an envelope. Now you get a cardboard box containing the certificate, membership card and a lapel pin.

Is it the case the CISSP concentrations are rare so it takes longer to pull the items for the certificate packages together for these? Possibly.

In my view, the change from delivering the certificate packages in 6-8 weeks to now taking 11+ weeks, or it not being delivered at all in many cases, has coincided with the general downturn in service levels which is directly attributable to the poor management practices I mentioned before.

I agree that it is strange that ISC2 can't practice what it preaches when it comes to (mis)handling its own DETE project.

Newcomer II

Well, whatever the reason for the physical certificate time-line taking longer, whether supplier, cost or even just plain not bothering to put them together often enough, that's not the service problem.

The service management problem is failing to set expectations appropriately, failing to be transparent about the reasons for changes in service levels and failure in ongoing communication.

Given the dates in your last message, it looks to me like there are likely two main causes, it would be nice if ISC2 could confirm them, and whether the 11+ weeks is the new SLA, or if the longer time is temporary.

Those two reasons that I suspect are first, not planning and staffing for the significantly higher number of candidates, caused in part by the PCI SSC's change in QSA requirements. The second, of course, is due to the significant issues caused by the digital transformation effort, which the (ISC)2 management owes the membership a postmortem analysis on, and I hope the vendor owes restitution for.

When it comes down to brass tacks, though, I'd rather have staff working to process endorsements within the 6 week SLA, than envelope stuffing certificates - but again, transparency and accurate expectation setting is a must for the leadership of an organization like this.

And for the record, I was awarded by CISSP on July 9th. That's 82 days, 11 weeks and 5 days - and I've not received my certificate package yet. Is it lost in the mail? Was it shipped?

There is no way to know. The worst part of that is that you'd think the shipping status of the deliverables associated with certifications would have been a must have feature for the digital transformation project.

Jim

Advocate II

It is stated in the FAQ it can take up to 12 weeks hence the title of the thread:

https://www.isc2.org/Frequently-Asked-Questions#accordion-c6c19fcde9cf46cdadb06d7d6ed9719d

My issue is it used to take half this time.

Check with @KaityEagle to see if yours has at least been shipped.