Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CoreyO
Newcomer II

Why do we not hear a lot about the SSCP?

I am studying for the SSCP and don't see a lot on it. I have a book by CRC Press Official (ISC) Guide to the SSCP CBK. I want to take and also take the CISSP later but am in the thick of working in the systems and want to incorporate strong security practices. What are some recommendations? I also wonder what have other s used to train for and pass the SSCP. Has anyone found any good free resources to help get ready for the certification? Please share the wealth and your success.

Kind Regards,

CoreyO

Never let the Fear of striking out stop you from playing!!! - Babe Ruth

Every Strike out brings me closer to the next Home Run!!! - Babe Ruth

Kind Regards
CoreyO

15 Replies
kpinkham
Newcomer II

The "SSCP (ISC)2 Systems Security Certified Practitioner Official Study Guide" by George Murphy also provides online practice chapter tests and full exams which I found very helpful.

CoreyO
Newcomer II

Thank you great feed back. Has anyone found any great online training resources everything I see are books and their included material? I am looking for some online training I prefer free but if it is good I would pay just want to make sure i am ready. I am so debating the CISSP over the SSCP. I am also studying for the CEH and CASP. 

Kind Regards
CoreyO

fish6288
Viewer II

+1 for using the "SSCP Systems Security Certified Practitioner All-in-One Exam Guide" . If you have some experience in IT and even a little in security already then this will be the only resource you need. Read the book and then use the practice exam questions that come with it.

CapnCrunch
Viewer

Sorry to resurrect an older thread, however does anyone have experience with any apps for SSCP? ISC2 recommends the learnzapp app, however the reviews are less than ideal, and the others don't have any.

JoeB_IG
Newcomer II

Federal employees and verified military veterans can enroll in the Federal Virtual Training Environment (FEDVTE).  I used this to prepare for the SSCP and I am using it to study for CISSP.

Good Luck!

kmjordan
Newcomer II

I just provisionally passed the SSCP exam a couple of weeks ago (awaiting processing now), and the resource I used, that was free to me because my company has a subscription, was Skillsoft ( https://www.skillsoft.com/ ). They do have a mobile app so you can access the site on your mobile device, though it is not specifically a study app, just an alternate means of accessing their site content.

Skillsoft provides electronic copies of the following SSCP books:

• The CBK (although it was 3rd edition, and the typos were painful - hopefully the 4th edition is better!)
  • The Official Study Guide
  • The All-in-One Guide

They also had an online SSCP exam prep video course series covering the domains in 8 1-2 hour sessions, with end of section review questions, as well as a separate online practice test. 

To study for the exam, I completed the video course series, read the CBK, skimmed the other two study guides for additional material, and took a total of 4 practice tests:

• The Skillsoft online practice exam
  • Practice questions in the CBK
  • Practice questions in the Official Study Guide
  • Practice questions in the All-in-One Guide

Hope this helps!

--- Kim Jordan, CSSLP, SSCP