Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
azi90
Newcomer II

What experience can be counted toward the CISSP experience?

Hi,

I am aware to obtain CISSP you need experience of 5 years in 2 or more of 8 domains.

I wanted to know that if i have system administration experience of 3 years in past which was 50 % servers managements and 50% Security related material ( Identity and Access Management & Asset Security ) can i use those 3 years to count that towards the 5 years of requirement?

More over my current job i am working on server hardening and patching (Security Assessment and Testing)

about 40 % of time, for past year, can i use that to count as another year credit in order to obtain the credential of CISSP?

Thanks for your help in advance

3 Replies
habray625
Reader I

If your regular work tasks involved 2 or more domains then it can be counted as experience toward the CISSP requirement.  To use myself as an example, I was a network and systems administrator for more than 5 years and was able to claim my experience primarily under the network and communications security and identity and access management domains.  The CBK domains, and information security in general, are very broad. You do not necessarily need to be in a de facto security role in order to play an important part in securing the enterprise.  

azi90
Newcomer II

habray,

Not sure what you mean by regular duties. My previous work experience included work in those domain for upto 50-60% of time. Does that mean i cannot count this towards my 5 years of exp. requirement?

habray625
Reader I

I mean if someone asked you what you did at your previous company and you can say "I did X" and it related to the domains then you could claim it as experience.  By regular I mean it was either a daily work task, or you did domain-related work enough throughout your time that it could be seen as part of your overall job duties.  This is subjective and really depends on how your endorser and ISC2 view your experience.  I was just explaining my personal experience with the endorsement process.