Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Viewer II

Re: What Strategy did you use to prepare for and eventually pass your CISSP?

It helped that I had many years of cybersecurity experience.  I had already passed the Certified Ethical Hacker exam.  I read the CISSP CBK.  I also read several books on encryption, since that seemed to be a weak spot.  Specifically Crypto by Steven Levy, and The Code Book by Simon Singh.  A 40 hour boot camp.  Plus participation in a CISSP Study Group put on by our local (ISC)2 chapter with the local ISSA chapter and the State of Minnesota IT department (MN-IT).  And I had a practice exam that was helpful, but nothing at all like the actual exam.

Took the test, was pretty sure I was failing, but passed it on my first go.

The training I had already for the CEH and the career experience were probably the most important factors that contributed to my success.  Can't really beat experience, which is why you need 5 years of experience to complete your certification.

Security+ might be an easier way to get some success in testing before trying the CISSP.

Highlighted
Viewer II

I worked in communication in the military and later in a civil service position so I had experience before I started working on the CISSP cert. I bought and read Sean Harrison's CISSP All in One book. I also took lots of practice tests on Cccure.com. Passed first try.
Highlighted
Reader I

So besides reading a lot of the study materials, one thing that helped me was to listen to some of the audio books when I was in the gym or went for a run. I personally tend to tune non important things out when I exercise so that helped me focus on the key learning objectives.
Highlighted
Reader I

Definitely agree with scheduling and exam as a general best practice. It helps to keep you accountable and focused on studying.
Highlighted
Newcomer I

By reading answers on this subject proves that we need to evolve as individuals and as security professionals. We need to train others and find ways to create a new position for junior and apprentices to work shadowing and guided by those who have the expertise and have been on the industry for longer periods of time.

Take the civil engineering as an example, the aspirants need to work for a long period under the sponsorship of a senior engineer and after a few years they get their full title and certification

I salute all the community and send a call for change in organisations worldwide

Bests
Fernando Cabal consultant