Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
saurabh1
Reader I

Using other certifications for CPE credits

Hi! I wanted if I could obtain CPE credit (for my SSCP certification) for passing the Comptia Security+? If so, which group (A or B)? and how many CPE credits? 

Also, can I add CPE credits for studying for the Comptia certification?

Thanks

11 Replies
Shannon
Community Champion

@saurabh1, check out this thread, wherein @amandavanceISC2 clarified it.

(Also refer to the CPE Handbook for more info.)

Shannon D'Cruz,
CISM, CISSP

www.linkedin.com/in/shannondcruz
Atirado
ISC2 Former Staff

Hello saurabh1,

You can actually submit up to 40 CPEs for the self-studying completed in pursuit of a new certification. For each hour studying, you can submit one CPE credit. If you also completed any training courses for those, then you could also submit that for a separate activity all together.

Any cyber security certificate you earn is worth group A CPEs, so please feel free to submit those as you earn them.

AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

Hi @Atirado,

I always thought 30 CPEs for studying for another certification was pretty low and seemingly arbitrary!

However, it has been stated on here that it is the correct amount on a number of occasions by other members of ISC2 staff - most notably here:

https://community.isc2.org/t5/Member-Support/Is-30-CPE-for-certification-exam-self-study-documented-...

It also states 30 CPEs in the CPE portion of the FAQ:

https://www.isc2.org/Frequently-Asked-Questions#accordion-f4ec6c90bbd24f6fa982de008bbaf361

Q: If I earn another certification, can I get credit for passing the examination?

A: For obtaining a new credential, you may submit up to 30 CPEs under the self-study category for the time you spent preparing to obtain the new certification.

I have submitted 4 x 30 CPEs for the 4 x certifications I have earned over the last 10 months, so would love to be able to make that 4 x 40 CPEs if you can confirm 40 is now the correct amount, as I did well over 40 hours of studying for each of them.

Atirado
ISC2 Former Staff

Hi Alec,

I brought this topic to my superiors and they confirmed that it is now up to 40 CPEs for the time you spent preparing to obtain the new certification.

If you have any more questions regarding this topic you can call member support at 1-866-331-4722.

Best Regards,

AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

Thank you for the confirmation, @Atirado - much appreciated!

saurabh1
Reader I

Thanks a lot Atirado. I just had a couple more questions: 

1. I can't seem to be able to find the self-study category to submit the CPEs under. So under which category should I submit the CPEs? 

2. Can I upload my certificate as a supporting document? 

Again, thanks a lot Atirado

amandavanceISC2

@saurabh1 To confirm, you may submit your certificate as supporting documentation. We do not have a section that is labeled as "self-study" at this time, so we ask that you submit it under the Education tab and then "webinars, podcasts and other online training".

Best Regards,
Amanda 

kfarhan
Newcomer I

@amandavanceISC2 Can you please confirm if 30 is the maximum or 40 credit CPEs for new certification? I have passed CCSP and want to record the CPEs under CISSP.

I agree with other community members as we spend well above 30 hours to prepare for the certifications. Thank you in advance.

barryghotra
Viewer II

Sorry to further ask for clarification:

a) I just passed my CISSP in April 2022. Can I use the 40 hours of study as part of my first year of CPEs requirements?

b) I am going for CCSP next month or the month after, could I use 30 hours for that preparation as part of my 3 year CPE requirements?

c) I also lead a security team at work where everyday I am involved in the security product implementations, helping clients do the security vulnerability mitigation, review and explain the vulnerability scan reports. I am assuming these can be used for ongoing CPEs as well under various domains?

I would appreciate any guidance regarding this.

Barry