Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Steve-Wilme
Advocate II

Taking note

Saw this.  I knew there was a reason I always made handwritten precis of lectures and textbooks when studying.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/a-learning-secret-don-t-take-notes-with-a-laptop/

Give it a try.  You find the pen is mighter than the laptop!

-----------------------------------------------------------
Steve Wilme CISSP-ISSAP, ISSMP MCIIS
2 Replies
mgorman
Contributor II

I realized a long time ago that for me, it isn't even taking the notes, it is truly paying attention.  As they note in the article, many students on laptops are mindlessly transcribing a lecture.  Their focus is on hearing and typing, not listening and learning.  Not to mention the distractions that come with open laptops...  In meetings, seminars, etc., I never have an open laptop, unless there is some sort of hands on that requires it. I often don't take too many notes either, just particular keywords or phrases that stand out, but I do pay attention to the speaker, and actively engage in learning and understanding what they are talking about.

My $.02

CraginS
Defender I

I  learned decades ago that if I used a computer keyboard to take notes during meetings or classes, I was absorbed with the typing process and could not really engage and be part of the discussion. However, if I took handwritten notes I was able to not only absorb more, but also actively engage i note conversations.

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts