Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GlennA
Newcomer I

Status on CISSP studies

Good Morning all! I posted a few weeks ago about my CISSP progress. So far I am progressing, taking different practice tests every other day and then study concepts in between. I have access to a free subscription to safari books online and Books 24x7.

I was told the official ISC2 Guide, CBK 4th edition is your best friend as I have that study guide. It is so long and the grammar isnt as clear as Sybex or the 11th Hour.

Anyway, doing between 73 to 78% on most practice exams but test with questions I havent seen before—that is what I strive for.

I am not going to sit for the exam until I get 80 to 90% on ALL Domains. I am also learning that there are some things you just need to know such as TCP/IP Model as it correlates to the OSI model, and know the difference between a Fraggle Attack versus a Smurf attack and associated layers that are involved. Those are not management questions, those are things I think you just need to know. Classes of Fires is another one. You just have to know them..

The Alice and Bob type question I am certain is testable when it comes to PKI and what keys you encrypt and decrypt. When I took the Security + Exam in 2015, which I passed the first time, was not carte blanche. There was a lot of distractors and fluff.

I have a Master’s Degree in IT. Been working in IT for 15 years. Taking multiple choice exams I learned to look at the answers first..then the question. Doesn’t work everytime.

I am testing this September. But am at it every single day...either listening to mp3 audio in my car, while at the gym between test sessions. Yesterday did a 150 question sitdown with CCCure (never seen the questions before) and got a 78%. Keep in mind it was after a full days work and didnt have a very good day either...So I kept the course despite how upset and stressed I was and focused...

I am not sure how I will do on the real exam in September..From reading some of the posts, the CAT exam is making me a little nervous.. what I do know is I am “ pounding the pavement hard” and being disciplined daily. Concepts Concept -know them. I also have over 1300 Flashcards as well. Even if I am tired I want to learn this stuff and have fun while I am at it...at least now I can talk intelligently to my collegues at work when it comes to Policy, Guidelines, Standards, and Procedures along with NIST best practices...Any feedback on those studying or taken the CAT exam and passed is appreciated:)
1 Reply
canLG0501
Newcomer III

It sounds like you are very disciplined in your study tactics.  I paid close attention to the higher percent domains to ensure I had no question in regard to those specifically.  Please check out some of the older Cybrary videos as background if you have an opportunity.  Don't be nervous and continue to have fun!  You will pass!