Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hy
Newcomer I

Sharing your time management in CISSP CAT exam

Any good strategy to share for those exam takers?

My experience:

1. Successfully passed the exam last month (10yrs working exp. in related filed and prepared one month on the exam after the CISSP 14-day classroom course)

2. Exam stopped at Question 100

3. Time spent on 100 questions - 2hr 30min

Further analysing on the performance, if I did not get pass in 100 questions, I probably could not finish the exam for 50questions (should be more difficult) in 30min.

Sometimes we need to make a balance on accuracy VS speed. I focus on accuracy. However, when I looked back, actually most of the questions can be answered within a second but I keep read and read the questions to avoid any misunderstanding on the questions or any trick. Actually, those words like "BEST", "LEAST", "MOST",etc words are in bold fonts to assist you. No worry.

My suggestions:

1. Keep a constant speed and relatively quick approach on answering the first 50-60questions. They are not that difficult. If you get stuck, probably you don't prepare enough.

2. For those difficult ones, if it appears in early stage, try to push yourself to give a quick answer. Otherwise, you won't have enough time to work on those real hard one in later stage (this is CAT).

3. Aim at completion in 100questions.

1 Reply
j_M007
Community Champion

Good suggestions, Hy.

"

My suggestions:

1. Keep a constant speed and relatively quick approach on answering the first 50-60questions. They are not that difficult. If you get stuck, probably you don't prepare enough.

Very true about preparation. I think that is KEY. If you're spending the time, money, commitment, energy and emotion to go for this, then you really, REALLY!!!, need to prepare. Even though none of the questions I practiced was on the exam, it really helped me to drill as many questions as I could. Not for the content of the questions, but for the thinking and the timing.

2. For those difficult ones, if it appears in early stage, try to push yourself to give a quick answer. Otherwise, you won't have enough time to work on those real hard one in later stage (this is CAT).

I don't agree with "try to push yourself to give a quick answer". Here is the reason. It can lead to panic, which will lead to second guessing, choking, and worse. On the contrary, I think that calming yourself, Reading The Entire Question, eliminating the obvious howlers, asking yourself which is the truthiest answer, then calmly committing it and going on, will provide a good result.

3. Aim at completion in 100questions"

My test kept going to about 125, and I was wondering WTF was happening, so give yourself a good margin. Do your best. Calm yourself. Rest. Take care of your needs before the exam. Did I mention PREPARE!!!?

Remember. Others have done this, and you can, too. Also remember, if at first you don't succeed, keep going until you do succeed.

CISSP is far more than a mere certification: it's a professional attitude and a way of life.

Good luck.