Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
(ISC)² Team

Share Your Story: When You Passed Your CISSP Exam

I’ve been working for (ISC)2 for almost 5 years and over the years I’ve met many CISSPs at (ISC)2 and industry events. In our conversations I'll often ask them about their experience taking and passing the CISSP exam, as it’s a huge accomplishment and everyone I’ve heard from remembers the day they found out that they passed.

One story that has stuck with me is about a member who was taking the exam back when it was paper-based testing and about half way through his exam he realized that two pages were stuck to one another, so all of his answers from then on were off. He luckily was able to erase and adjust all of his answers in time and he later found out that he passed. Talk about a nerve-wrecking experience!

I’d love to hear your story…

82 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor II

Re: Share Your Story: When You Passed Your CISSP Exam

I took it just after the consolidation from 10 to 8 domains in 2015. I'd reached that point in my career where folks were asking me why I didn't have one, so I decided to go sit for it to stop them from asking. It look about 1hr45 minutes with a water and bio break. Unfortunately, you only find out your score if you failed, so I don't know how well I actually did, but I did well enough to pass and that's the important bit with the exam.

I did have the benefit of employer-paid-for test prep via SANS, which I thought was excellent, and helped organize the info in my head rather well. I used their GISP prep exams and the GISP as essentially preps for the CISSP itself. The training is expensive, but I think its worth it if you can get it.

I did the CSSLP on my own in 2016 without any prep and passed that on my first go out as well. (I like that material more than CISSP generally, as it is more directly relevant to my life)

-- wdf//CISSP, CSSLP
Highlighted
Newcomer I

Back in 2012 I did one month of self study before I got out of the Air Force.  Passing my first time really helped me get the first job after Air Force retirement.

Highlighted
Viewer III

I passed mine a few days ago. I was pretty stressed out and didn't think I was going to pass. I was surprised that it doesn't tell you on the screen if it's pass or fail. I had to summon the proctor, wait for him to log me out, take the survey, and scan my hand 2 more times. Then it was shift change in the lobby and had to wait another 5 grueling minutes for someone to hand me the printout.

Overall it's an intimidating experience.
Newcomer II

Passing the CISSP exam is always a great experience that sticks to one's mind, for sure! Nothing particular in my case, but one of the best days in my (professional) life!