Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bravo
Viewer II

SSCP or CISSP?

Is it a good idea the get your SSCP first and then go for the CISSP or should I go directly for the CISSP and not bother with the SSCP? What do you recommend and why? Thanks in advance.

17 Replies
LAJensen
Newcomer I

Hi Bravo

When I finally decided to get serious about adding cyber security certs to my resume I eased myself into the field by taking the SSCP even tho' I qualified to take the CISSP.  The SSCP cert provides a great foundation in cyber security and it isn't as big of a bite of information to absorb as the CISSP.

I followed up the SSCP cert with the CompTIA Security + CE cert.  It's right in line with the SSCP material but adds more technical information to the exam.  I continued on the techie end of cyber security by taking the SANS/GIAC GSEC. And finally, I took the CISSP.

I don't see a lot of people taking the cert route that I have but I wanted a well-rounded grounding in cyber security.

LA Jensen

CISSP, SSCP, GSEC

Security+CE, CVI, MCP, MCTS

n_vyas1
Newcomer II

Hello,

I failed in CISSP today although all CISSP OFFICIAL book contents are already recorded in my mind.

Unfortunately, only 2 technical questions were asked in CISSP Exam and rest of all based on concepts and experience. I'm working in information Security Domain, working as a system analyst since 6 years.

So, I'd like to know if SSCP suits and fits as per my expectations because I want to give pure technical exam rather than concept based just i had in CISSP.

What kind of exam pattern SSCP has? Is it relevant to CISSP?
n_vyas1
Newcomer II

Hello Kevin,

You're absolutely right. Last week, I've got failed in CISSP because I have to managerial cadre kind of experience with CISO,CIO,COO tag line.

My Bad to select CISSP first.... 😞

Once failed, I've gone thru. SSCP course & observed  that CISSP & SSCP has almost 80% same content & SSCP is more about technical, on which I'm working.

So, without wasting more time & to read entire SSCP book thoroughly, I'm going  to appear in SSCP within a month as I've memorized CISSP official  book in my mind with all cleared technical concepts.

Even I'm confident that I can conduct CISSP batch without reading the book.... 🙂

Any suggestions & correction, feel free to respond.

-N. Vyas

LAJensen
Newcomer I

Hi  n_vyas1

Sorry to take so long to reply to you.  The CISSP is a pretty tough exam these days.  I highly recommend the SSCP as well as the CompTIA Security+.  The SSCP provides you with a very good grounding in InfoSec, introduction to ISC(2) Domains, and a taste for what you will need to accomplish, or to become accomplished, within the InfoSec profession to tackle the CISSP once again.  Please don't become discouraged!  This profession isn't as easy as it was 10 years ago.  The demands on the knowledge we must accumulate as well as the technologies and experience we have to learn to be successful as an InfoSec professional have increased exponentially over the past few years.  As to whether or not one industry exam is better to achieve over or versus another?  Whereas some certifications are definitely more prestigious than others (CISSP), any and all InfoSec exams you decide to accumulate on your resume will show, at the very least, that you are dedicated to the profession through continued education and certification. 

LA Jensen

CISSP SSCP GSEC CVI

Security+ CE MCP MCTS

sophia_cart
Newcomer II

The CISSP certification is designed for Chief Information Security Officers, Security Managers, Consultants and Analysts, as well as, Directors of Security. In short: information security professionals working in senior managerial security roles.

The SSCP is aimed at those who want to build and prove their essential cyber security skills and are currently in a hands-on information security role. The SSCP is a great certification for Network Security Engineers, Security Administrators and Systems Engineers.

n_vyas1
Newcomer II

Hello,

Finally, I've cleared SSCP Certification & going for endorsement process. Now, I'm quiet confident that there'll be very less learning curve to clear CISSP as SSCP covers almost 70%+ of CISSP if I compare the course contents.

My opinion is, SSCP is more about technical if you compare same topic in SSCP & CISSP Book, you'll come to know that SSCP describes it in a broad matter. I'm not arguing that CISSP gives you less knowledge but I honest opinion for ongoing candidates is, prepare yourself for SSCP first & then CISSP if you have a pure technical background.

Now, CCSP & CISSP is my next targets.

Enjoy,

N.Vyas

n_vyas1
Newcomer II

Hello,

I've also cleared SSCP yesterday & I completely agree with you to stick with SSCP, CompTIA Sec+ as both certifications will prove individual's technical competency.

Now, my target is CISSP & CCSP.

n_vyas1
Newcomer II

Hello,

Cleared SSCP yesterday. Now, CCSP & CISSP are the next.