cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mralvinli
Newcomer I

SSCP Exam

Hi guys,

I am new to the ISC2 Scene. I am currently a college student taking cybersecurity courses and was wondering during my path or after graduation would I  be able to qualify to take the SSCP exam or would I still need to have that required 1 year job experience first?

Thank you!

14 Replies
denbesten
Community Champion

@vinpai1976 wrote:
i have a network security diploma i want to get into cyber security what certification should i start with to get a job and start my journey in cyber security.

Sounds like you need a resume, not another cert,

vinpai1976
Viewer

I live in calgary alberta and all the employers are asking for experience and how can you gain experience if you dont jave a job in cyber security
denbesten
Community Champion

@vinpai1976 wrote:
...all the employers are asking for experience...

Don't let that stop you from applying.  Employers ask for the moon and accept what they can get.

Also, realize that any IT job has cybersecurity involvement.  The job title is not the important bit.  Reflect on the jobs you have had in light of the knowledge you gained in studying/passing the CC.  There may be hidden experience which you can (and should) highlight.  

As you hunt for this job, focus more on the "network" part, for which your degree prepared you.  Once you get a foot in the door, the day-to-day interactions with other teams will naturally turn into experience that you will make it easier to later get the dream job.

If not too late, see if your school participates in internship programs. My employer uses them quite extensively, and it is extremely common for one of our prior interns to later apply for and get a job with us.  As you are using an internship to try out "my specialty", I am measuring how well you would "fit in" to our organization.  Even if you apply to someone else's team, you can be sure they will reach out for my opinion.

Finally, I would not bother taking any exam for which you do not yet have the experience to become certified. Gaining the "real world experience" will do much more to guide your studies than any textbook ever could.  Plus, it saves on annual maintenance fees.

emb021
Advocate I

Would agree with denbesten's advise.

Leverage what you'd done in IT to get into cybersecurity.  I went from being a sysadmin, where I was already doing a lot of infosec stuff (hardening systems, patching systems, managing access, etc) to doing infosec work full time.

Also on networking, get involved with local infosec groups (local chapters of ISSA, ISC2, Infragard [US only], or local groups], go to local infosec conference like BSides (was at BSides Tampa recently that had 1100+ people there, including a lot of students and those wanting to get into the field.  they had one track of talks JUST on career stuff).  this way you can network with your peers (or future peers), which can lead to a job.  This can help you get around the "HR gatekeepers" and get infront of the hiring managers.

---
Michael Brown, CISSP, HCISPP, CISA, CISM, CGEIT, CRISC, CDPSE, GSLC, GSTRT, GLEG, GSNA, CIST, CIGE, ISSA Fellow
emb021
Advocate I

You'll still need experience.

You're best bet at this point is to get a cert that doesn't require experience like ISC2's new CC cert, maybe CompTIA's Sec+ and Net+.

Also, see my response regarding networking within the community.  Most professional associations have special rates for college students to join.

---
Michael Brown, CISSP, HCISPP, CISA, CISM, CGEIT, CRISC, CDPSE, GSLC, GSTRT, GLEG, GSNA, CIST, CIGE, ISSA Fellow