cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mcnj
Newcomer I

SANS Webcast for CPE

Hi All,

I have a question about using recorded SANS webcasts for CPE. When entering your CPE, are you supposed to use the date the webcast took place or the date that you watched it?  For example, when you look at the certificate that SANS provides for watching, it will show the date the webcast took place, but on the bottom left corner, it says "Certificate Received" and that's the date that you actually watched it.

6 Replies
CraginS
Defender I

I always use the date I watched it. Otherwise the date it was created may make the record appear you earned the CPE in the wrong cycle time.

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
mcnj
Newcomer I

Thanks @CraginS ! 

This helps out a lot

sergeling
Contributor I

For the online webinar I always put the day I watch/finish watching it.
There’s a separate field to input the year the content of the webinar was crrst d that’s when I input the date webinar actual took place.
I believe that’s the intention since one field is to make sure you watch the content within CPE accumulatuon cycle and 2nd date is to ensure the content watched stays current
mcnj
Newcomer I

Thanks @sergeling and @CraginS.  Appreciate it!  One more question. I earned my certification in September 2018.  Not saying I would want to or be able to, but is it possible to earn all 120 CPE in one or two years? At first, I thought you could only earn a maximum of 40 CPE a year but that doesn't seem to be correct

CraginS
Defender I

@mcnj wrote:

Not saying I would want to or be able to, but is it possible to earn all 120 CPE in one or two years? At first, I thought you could only earn a maximum of 40 CPE a year but that doesn't seem to be correct

Yes, you can earn your 120 CPE at any time during the three year cycle. Many years ago (ISC)2 staff saw members failing because they put off CPE efforts too late, so they set a requirement for earning at least 20 each of the three years. A few years later, they upped the requirement to at least 40 each year. However, most recently the annual requirement was dropped, so any time within the cycle is OK. That said, I recommend planning a one hour webinar or podcast each week, so you earn 40 or more each year with minimal time commitment. If you start late (2nd year) make that 2 hours  a week.

Use those online hours as your baseline, and any conferences or courses you add become gravy.

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
mcnj
Newcomer I

Thanks again @CraginS.  That's exactly what I've been trying to do. I have 16/17 CPE since September, so I seem to be in good shape