Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
syedsufiyan07
Viewer

Physical security expert looking for CISSP Certification

I am a senior engineer in a Fortune 500 company. I basically implement low current systems like SCADA, BMS, ACS, CCTV for high-value projects. Currently(last 6 years) I am more focused on the security aspect of low current including physical security like bollards, turnstiles, CCTV, Access Control, Intrusion Detection, explosive detection, x-ray machines, Under Vehicle Inspection Systems.

I have basic networking knowledge for eg:- routing , switching Vlans, etc. and usually implement and design the underlying network infrastructure used by the above systems. I am also responsible for installing and configuring the enterprise-level software on huge server setups that requires role creation and user management.

Am I eligible to appear for the CISSP exam? Is it a good way for me to progress in my career? can it help me migrate closer to the cybersecurity job landscape?

2 Replies
AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

Anyone is eligible to take the exam, but if you pass you may not have enough relevant experience to qualify as a CISSP in which case you would need to opt for Associate status.

The experience requirements are set out here: https://www.isc2.org/Certifications/CISSP/experience-requirements

My recommendation is to review the exam outline: https://www.isc2.org/-/media/ISC2/Certifications/Exam-Outlines/CISSP-Exam-Outline-2018-v718.ashx

Take a look at the tasks/subtasks associated with each domain and figure out if you have 5 years of cumulative experience covering at least one task/subtask in at least two of the eight domains.

NB - physical security is no longer its own domain, but of course it is still a fundamental aspect of the CISSP curriculum. Rather than being its own domain, it now features across at least two domains as stated in the current CISSP exam outline:

Domain 5: Identity and Access Management (IAM)

5.1 Control physical and logical access to assets

» Information
» Systems
» Devices
» Facilities

Domain 7: Security Operations

7.15 Implement and manage physical security

» Perimeter security controls
» Internal security controls

So you may already be covered for the experience requirement.

As to your questions about it helping you with your career, it certainly won't hurt!

syedsufiyan07
Viewer

Thank you for your feedback and advice. I will pay good heed to them.