Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StevenJ6052
Newcomer III

Passed the CAP Exam This Morning: My Thoughts

To provide some background, I have been an IT program manager for the fast fourteen years. Having been certified as an MCSE (NT 4.0 and Win2K) and CCNA earlier in my career I let both certs lapse as they were no longer directly relevant for my career. I also picked up the PMP several years ago which I continue to maintain.

During the past couple of years I have developed a strong affinity for Risk Management  especially with regards to the IT security program I manage. Having passed the CISSP in early 2017, I decided the the CAP with its focus on the NIST Risk Management Framework would be a good next step.

Unlike the CISSP (or any other exam I have taken) there is very little in the way of published study guides and virtually no practice tests banks that I found useful. I rented the "Official (ISC)2 Guide to the CAP CBK" 2nd edition and read it in its entirety, but honestly found the freely available NIST 800 series (800-39, 800-37, 800-30, 800-53 & 53A etc..) as well as the FIPS 199 & 200 to be the best source of information. In addition, I found a few very good lectures on the NIST RMF provided by NIST on YouTube.

As for the exam, it consists of 125 questions and you are permitted three hours to finish. A sage piece of advice that I was given for the CISSP, "you need to think your way through the test" is equally applicable to the CAP. All 125 questions for multiple choice with only one answer. That said many were of the "best our of four poor choices" variety. Like the CISSP this is very much a management level exam, albeit with a much narrower focus. Unlike the CISSP there were no false "technical" answers to tempt you.

The best advise I can give anybody looking to take on the CAP is be very familiar with the NIST Risk Management Framework and how it map to the System Development Lifecycle. Roles & Responsibilities as well as vocabulary are critically important as well. Always remember that "plans" happen before "reports" and it is "Reports" that contain information on your implementation. When given a choice between multiple more or less correct answers, choose the one that is the most "all encompassing". For example if you are having trouble deciding between "Threat Sources" and "Vulnerabilities", choose "Risk Factors" as threat sources and vulnerabilities are both risk factors. When in doubt  about who the responsibility belongs to, it is probably the "System Owner"

This post probably adds another 25% to the total amount of direct feedback I was able to find online about this exam, but I must say of all the exams I have taken, this one has the most direct applicability to my daily on-the-job responsibilities. 

Should you decide to tackle the CAP, Good Luck, hope this information is helpful!

78 Replies
ScottNicholson
Newcomer I

Kofi,

Thanks! Sorry for the delay in response, but I have been traveling a lot of late. You can find the CAP flashcards after logging into the main site by following the instructions below. However, you will need to add them to your cart first. Follow this link: https://enroll.isc2.org/product?catalog=CAP-FC&utm_source=isc2web&utm_medium=selfstudy&utm_content=f...

After you finish the checkout process (flashcards are free), you should receive an onscreen message that points you to the learning site where your FlashCards will be posted. You should also receive an email from adminlearn@isc2.org. If you have not, check your spam folder or if you use a third party DNS filtering service check to make sure the isc2.org domain is being allowed.

Then at the top of the screen you will see the following navigation bar below. Now click on My Courses and you will be forwarded to https://learn.isc2.org/d2l/home

Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 12.27.51 AM.png

Scott P. Nicholson, MSM, CAP, RDRP
stickjohnney
Newcomer I

Thanks for sharing this info, Newcomer II! I'm preparing to take the CAP exams and knowing that concentrating more on the NIST SP 800-37 is a big plus.

stickjohnney
Newcomer I

Hi Scott,

Thank you very much for your advice on the CAP exams. Highly appreciate your input.

StickJohnney

stickjohnney
Newcomer I

Hi Kofi,

Trust all is well on your end. Download quizlet from the Google Play store. After registering with the app, type isc2 CAP in the search window. You will find the flashcards starting from domain 1. Best of luck!

StickJohnney

Alfredkwame
Viewer

Hey Yaw please can i email you to understand few things?
Alfredkwame
Viewer

please i really wanna take the exam and i will be grateful if you could help me kindly contact me alfredeli.h@gmail.com
thanks

Kwame
ShadowPunch07
Newcomer II

Hello stick!!! Have you taken the exam already?? If not, are you still preparing to take it? If so, did you want to join my study group for ISC2 CAP?? Just PM me if you do!!

pinaykyutie
Viewer III

Anybody currently studying for the CAP? I'm planning to take it in the next month, should I study 800-37 Rev. 1 or Rev. 2?? 

ShadowPunch07
Newcomer II

Check your inbox.
Alfredkwame
Viewer

Hey How are you,well we have form a what’s group learning and sharing ideas
together if you wouldn’t mind to join you can email me your phone number so
we can add you up.
Thanks