Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mr_CISSP
Newcomer I

Passed my CISSP exam today (2018/04/12) but am extremely disappointed with ISC2.

So my day started out not like any other day. For weeks now I have been dealing with a kidney stone coming down. If anyone has ever had to deal with a kidney stone, you understand the amount of agonizing pain that this little thing can cause you. Well, when I woke up this morning I had medium pain (6) so I took pain meds that were subscribed by my doctor. Got myself dressed and began driving to the testing center. As I was driving to the testing center (about 45 mins because of traffic) I began to feel more pain in my back/abdominal area. If I am sitting down for a long time, the pain from the kidney stone can multiply quickly. To make a long story short I ended up throwing up in my car while stuck in traffic due to the amount of pain I was in. I finally arrived to the testing center and asked the person at the front desk what the procedure was to reschedule, due to the fact that I was in massive pain. I even thought to myself I should probably go to the E.R. Anyways, I was told that the rules state that one cannot reschedule 24 hours into the testing date. Meaning from Pearson's perspective I was out of luck. (Were they seriously.) They said call ISC2. So I did! I told them my situation and yet they said that I was out of luck too and there was nothing they could do. In order to reschedule I would lose my payment and on top of that I would have to provide medical paper work to prove my case! I was so disappointed in that answer. I mean who would fake a medical condition to get out of a test! So much for ethics! Always, I decided screw it, I will take my test either way. I was given a vomit bag while I was in the testing center and was told good luck! (SMH). I took the test alternating between mostly standing up and kneeling on the floor because of the pain and how uncomfortable I was in the testing facility. It was so hard for me to focus... but you know what? I did it! When I got my paperwork that I had passed I wasn't even happy about. I was more happy to get out of the testing center than anything else. After I got home, I realized what an accomplishment I just went through. I'm truly fortunate to have passed the exam, but I was really sadden by the policies in place. If there is anything I learned today is that people should always come first. I didn't feel like Pearson or ISC2 truly understand that based on what I was told regarding my medical situation. "Here is your vomit bag, good luck!", or "We can't do anything about your medical situation", I was told! Profits should never come before the well being of individuals!

5 Replies
Baechle
Advocate I

Al,

I’m sorry to hear about your situation.  I agree that it’s unfortunate there isn’t any kind of medical exception to the last 24 hours.  I understand the testing center’s policy on this though.  There is no way for them to fill your slot the day-of for a test.  Filling test seats as densely as possible is the testing center’s business model – and the only way to make up for that would be to begin overbooking the test center similar to your experience with airlines.

Using some of the knowledge you obtained from the CISSP, its apparent you did at least a hasty risk analysis of the situation.  The benefit was the CISSP.  The risk was being sick while taking it, or missing it altogether.  In your risk analysis, you apparently weighed the benefit of obtaining the CISSP even at twice the cost (possibly having to sit for the exam a second time) higher than waiting for the illness to resolve.  As a result of that analysis, you apparently accepted the risk.

I’m not minimizing your accomplishment of passing the test in pain.  I empathize with that situation.  While in the military, I was had the option to take some several-months long very physically challenging training because it was my time to take the training for my job or resign from the career field I had volunteered for – even though I was in the midst of recovering from advanced Lyme disease complete with full body aches, joint pain, and muscle weakness.  In my risk analysis, I felt the benefit of not being a quitter outweighed the risk of being in constant pain (the kind that has people literally shaking on the floor in agony) for a few months.  I failed the first time through with a negative counseling near the last few weeks because the pain was so great I couldn't concentrate on properly handling stoppages and weapons transitions, but successfully rolled to the next class and completed the training.

So kudos to you in both a successful risk assessment, proper risk acceptance, and resiliency in operations allowing you to meet your business objectives without having to repeat the exam!

Sincerely,

Eric B.

lschneiter
ISC2 Former Staff

Hello Al,

Congratulations on passing your CISSP examination. You should be very proud of your accomplishment; this is not an easy exam to pass under normal conditions.
It is true that we do not reschedule examinations less than 24 hours prior to examination appointment. To provide an exception, we do need proof of a medical emergency within a specific time frame. We are audited on each exception that we provide and we need to be consistent with this policy.
I am truly sorry that you had to take your examination under these conditions. We try to assist candidates and members to the best of our ability.
If you need further assistance, please feel free to contact me.
Laura
Mr_CISSP
Newcomer I

Eric,

Thank you for the kind words. Since last posting, I've had a medical procedure to put a stent inside my kidney to relieve the pain from the kidney stone. To be honest, the pain is now gone and I feel so much better. In retrospect I agree with you, I felt confident enough to take the exam and was willing to take the risk, given the amount of pain I was in. I'm feel very fortunate to have passed and I look forward to attempting my next level of certifications. Hopefully without anymore kidney stones.

Mr_CISSP
Newcomer I

Laura,

No worries, I was upset when I wrote the post. Mostly because of the pain I was in. I had a medical procedure to have a stent inserted in my kidney in order to relieve the pain the stone has been causing. In retrospect, I feel very fortunate to have passed the exam given the circumstances.

To anyone reading this. I don't recommended taking the test under these conditions unless you feel very confident. This test is one heck of a roller coaster ride. Good Luck.

Thank you again Laura.

Sincerely,

Al

Baechle
Advocate I

Almando,

You’re welcome.  After an ordeal like that – I’d hire you.  That’s some serious dedication to mission accomplishment, and like you said it is also a testament to how confident you are in the CBK.

I'm glad you're feeling better.  Congratulations again!  😄

Sincerely,

Eric B.