cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Passed CISSP couple of Weeks ago. Have few questions.. Please Help

These might be basic questions for community pro but I am here after searching google for few days now. Thought this is the only way to get answers to my specific questions.

 

1) Are experience cumulative? I have been Network/System Administrator for lat 10 years. It seems like my job function spanned more than 2 domains. For example, if I worked 20% of 10 years is in say 4 domains, does that total 40% of 10 years?

 

2) Does the job title matter? It seems 4.5 years out to 10 years, I was doing 80% of security work (Software & hardware inventory, e-Recycle, Backup and DR, managing Internal Root CA, managing all things virtual infrastructure, Identity and Access (AD and File Server), vulnerability management etc).  under wrong job title (network administrator). 

 

3) I was told I will need 2 CISSP endorsers, the Online endorsement process only allows one. Did the requirement change or am I missing somethings?

 

4) Domain Selection for Experience :  As I said before, i did not hold direct security position in my previous jobs. Am I right in selecting domains I claim experience for even though I did not hold direct security position or should I select "Other"?

 

Sorry for the loaded post. I am new this community.

 

Thanks.

 

 

2 Replies
Advocate I

Re: Passed CISSP couple of Weeks ago. Have few questions.. Please Help


@Gappu555CISSP wrote:

1) Are experience cumulative? I have been Network/System Administrator for lat 10 years. It seems like my job function spanned more than 2 domains. For example, if I worked 20% of 10 years is in say 4 domains, does that total 40% of 10 years?

 


Pravin,

Congratulations on passing the exam. Also, very good of you to make sure you understand the experience requirements needed for endorsement. 

AS for trying to run percentages as you described, I recommend going in the other direction. AS a SysAdmin you in all likelihood did over more than two domains, but sporadically over those years. Make realistic estimates by number of months you performed duties traceable to each of the domains. Add those months up to work toward showing five years total experience (or four if you have a four year degree). 

 

 


@Gappu555CISSP wrote:

2) Does the job title matter? It seems 4.5 years out to 10 years, I was doing 80% of security work (Software & hardware inventory, e-Recycle, Backup and DR, managing Internal Root CA, managing all things virtual infrastructure, Identity and Access (AD and File Server), vulnerability management etc).  under wrong job title (network administrator). 

 

Job title makes no difference. It is the task activities you have been doing that matter. In reality, experienced infosec folks know that many system administrators and network administrators do, in fact, routinely perform a lot of security duties. You will be fine with the job titles you have had. 

 


@Gappu555CISSP wrote:

3) I was told I will need 2 CISSP endorsers, the Online endorsement process only allows one. Did the requirement change or am I missing somethings?

 


Only one endorser is needed. Who told you, in what environment, that you need two? We should collectively make sure no one is allowed to spread bad information. 

 

 


@Gappu555CISSP wrote:

 4) Domain Selection for Experience :  As I said before, i did not hold direct security position in my previous jobs. Am I right in selecting domains I claim experience for even though I did not hold direct security position or should I select "Other"?

 

 

For your endorsement submission you must show the specific domains for the work. Once you are certified then the Other mode might be needed on some CPE submissions.

 

Good luck!

 

 

 

Dr. D. Cragin Shelton, CISSP
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
https://CraginS.blogspot.com/
My Community Profile
My LinkedIn Profile

Re: Passed CISSP couple of Weeks ago. Have few questions.. Please Help

Thank you for your quick response. I am clear on endorsement process now. I think I exceed the experience requirements :-).