Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lamont29
Community Champion

Miffed by EC-Council

I have a free voucher for the CEH exam, and it has to be free in order for me to be pursuing this certification in  the first place. I think it's disgusting that they'd double their exam fee ($950 + $100 application fee) - as though their trying to beat the high costs of (ISC)2. 

LOL

My employer will definitely have to pay the costs of renewal for the CEH, because I am too disgusted by them to even think of maintaining my relationship with them after this testing.

Lamont Robertson
M.S., M.A., CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, CDPSE, MCSE
6 Replies
HTCPCP-TEA
Contributor I

Couldn't agree more!

It's a badge that many covet, and one that even I would like to pick up at some point but the price point is a stickler for many.

It does seem a bit excessive for an exam, but I suppose if one were to want to do it badly enough, they would happily part with the funds.

OSCP for me, seems a little more worth it....though the recent proctoring dilemma is another argument in that one....

Happy hunting!

BitsOnTheWire
Newcomer II

Agree! The cert testing fees are way overpriced! There is another cert or two I'd consider getting, but even if my employer is ponying up the jack, I find it difficult to justify $700 to $1,000 for a single test. Add to that the fact that I do not get any kind of salary increase after achieving the cert. If I was planning a job change, it may be more worth the headache and cost, but the cert organizations really need to get realistic with the exam fees!

Kevin

CISSP

billclancy
Contributor I

The madness doesn't end there...They are really picky as to accepting CPEs. Like ISC they have changed their web page with no warning, and it's totally un-navigable. It was so bad I had to call tech support to find where I needed to go to add CPE. That call ended badly when the support person started to ask for PII to identify me! Not to mention that they got hacked several years ago, spilling everyone's PII.

On the plus side...the material is very tool centric, and almost fun.

On the subject of testing fees, my first exams were Novel exams $85 each! MS upped the ante to $100 for theirs, and off we went, with no end in sight. 

Lamont29
Community Champion

Well, I guess I will migrate toward the GIAC version of ethical hacking
after this. As I said, I am not paying for this exam, and if my employer
decides not to pay the renewal fee, then it just won't get paid and it will
expire.

That cost is RIDICULOUS!

Lamont
Lamont Robertson
M.S., M.A., CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, CDPSE, MCSE
BitsOnTheWire
Newcomer II

I too remember the $85 and $100 exam fees back in the CNE and MCSE days! Now it is rapidly getting much to painful to gamble a pass/fail.

billclancy
Contributor I

Comparing the difficulty of CEH  to OSCP is like kindergarten to college. I smoked through the CEH in 2010 without difficulty, and had my a$$ handed to me by the OSCP two years ago...After 3 months of hard work I still simply lacked the skills to successfully navigate that bad boy.

The plus side of the CEH is it's listed on the DODI 8570 matrix, and is coveted by folks in the DOD arena (Such as myself). 

https://iase.disa.mil/iawip/Pages/iabaseline.aspx

After a peek at this, you'll see pretty quickly that a CISSP and a CEH cover a lot of ground. Add a CISM and a CISA, and you've almost gotten a blackout bingo!