Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Newcomer III

LinkedIn Profile question

What do y'all think about someone listing 'CISSP - Class in Austin' in their LinkedIn profile?  They have it listed as their last education, so it shows up in their profile header, and it came up in a search when I was looking at connections that have achieved CISSP.  

5 Replies
Highlighted
Community Champion

Re: LinkedIn Profile question

@Brewdawg wrote:

What do y'all think about someone listing 'CISSP - Class in Austin' in their LinkedIn profile?  ...

Formally, it is a violation of the (ISC)2 trademark policy, and potentially a violation of the Code of Ethics sufficient to prevent future certification. However, using that phrase is a good indication the individual is not trying to fool anyone, and in fact is trying to be properly transparent without violating any rules. Well intentioned, and should probably be quietly and privately educated on the details of trademark use as declared (and enforced) by (ISC)2. 

We see this situation every so often, even here in the Community. In most cases it is easily cleared up. (Although a few members recently spotted reports of formal legal action in 2007 by (ISC)2 against a former CISSP intentionally trying to fool people by using the CISSP term.)

Craig

Dr. D. Cragin Shelton, CISSP
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
https://CraginS.blogspot.com/
My Community Profile
My LinkedIn Profile
href="Not Passing a Cert Exam is Not the Same as Failing" target="new";;https://cragins.blogspot.com/2018/08/pass-rates-for-professional-exams.html
Highlighted
Advocate I

It'd be worse in a resume submitted for a position in my view.  I mean ISC2 has gone some way with the associate, so why people think they should put 'CISSP studying towards' or similar on their CVs is a little beyond me.  Maybe they're hoping hiring managers are too busy to read CVs properly and they'll sneak in under the radar.  Personally I'd ask a few direct question along the lines of 'Are you a qualified CISSP and can you provide your membership number for vetting' at interview.  And if they couldn't or wouldn't provide it at the interview I'd be pretty suspicious.  In fact there's a reasonable chance another candidate would be offered, even if they didn't have a CISSP, but had the experience and had performed well at interview. 

You just never want to risk being seen as less than entirely transparent.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Steve Wilme CISSP-ISSAP, ISSMP MCIIS
Highlighted
Contributor III

At best its a reach to appear to be more socially accepted, more knowledgeable than an obtained certificate. Tacky? Yes. Outright fraud no but tells us the person is either ethically challenged or overeager to display a "yet" earned credential.

I am being gracious because its Friday.

- b/eads

Highlighted
Contributor II

I was ecstatic that I'd passed the test.  But I didn't change ANYTHING until I got the certificate and lapel pin.

---
Eric Geater, CISSP
I've always said, "There's nothing an agnostic can't do if he really doesn't know whether he believes in anything or not."
Highlighted
Newcomer III

Sounds like most of y'all are in the same mindset that I am.  It is not something that he should be listing in the way that it is listed.  Here is the real topper, it does not even appear that it is something he is working toward, the class was taken in 2006.  So, he took the class before I started working with him in 2008, and when I worked with him, he was one of our lab admins, but we didn't trust that he could set up the lab environment correctly.  

I'm just not sure how it should be addressed.  Is it something that I would be out of line reaching out and suggesting that he remove it from his profile?  I figure it is listed to help with screening bots adding him to additional job searches.