Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SJ
Viewer

IT Security Goals

I have been preparing on and off for the CISSP for the past 6 years. (sigh)

I know, it sounds like serious procrastination and I get that, but when I changed jobs from WIN and UNIX Admin for the USGov to a dedicated Systems Analyst - my whole skillset took a dump. 

No more field or bench repair of broken Server, Network, Printer/Scanner or PC/Laptop items down to piece-part, module or chip level (1300 of them - all unique), no more physical inventorying, assembling, disassembling, receiving/setting up or packing/shipping of items, no more at-desk customer support (or driving/flying all over Europe) and no more need for the intermittent 'refreshing' of the 13 IT and dozens of vendor-specific Certs I'd managed to get and had to maintain.(A+, N+, Inet+, Sec+, Server+, Novell CNA, Msoft MCSE, Cisco CCNA, Oracle, Sun, Apple, Hetra, GRiD, HP, WANG, Zenith, CDC, TEMPEST Tech, etc...)  

So, suddenly I had to put down my toolkit and soldering iron and pick up a clipboard, wear a tie and manage OTHERS to do what I most loved myself. The job did not require PMP, although I have also studied for it, and CISSP was not required, but it was another goal of mine - when I had the time and extra $650.00 to throw at it. 

5 YEARS later, I changed jobs again and after another 26weeks of 'specialized' training, I find myself in exotic parts of the world for 2-3 years at a stretch, responsible for the Confidentiality, Integrity and Availability of the (IT) Servers, Networks, Workstations and Voice (Tel, SatPhone, HF, VHF and UHF radio) systems of a satellite office of a HUGE global organization.  Naturally CISSP is on the plate again 🙂

Well, that EXAM changed (in 2015) and I don't know if I am ready for the 8-Domain version just yet... and I think by taking and passing SSCP and then attacking the much-harder (and 3hrs longer) CISSP would be the least difficult path to 'ease' into the 'mile wide - inch deep' infosec stream.

What say all of you?

3 Replies
Matt
Viewer II

Personally I’d bite the bullet and go for the CISSP. Perhaps if you go for the SSCP you’ll feel as though you have one of the ISC2 certs so you won’t bother going for the CISSP.

JRod
Viewer II

I'd go for the CISSP if I were you.  Although the security domains changed from 10 to 8, the same information is covered.  Also, if you're nervous about spending the $600 or so and not passing, Skillset offers a program online for preparing for the exam.  If you want to purchase the Pro version, they have a pass guarantee and will pay for a second exam if you aren't successful with your first try.  You can do it!!!

Karlos
Newcomer I

I guess it depends on where you want to go career-wise...

CISSP is much more a management level qualification and it strikes me from your description that you're more a technical, hands-on kind of guy.

If I were in your shoes so long as the role you're in doesn't demand it, I would get the SSCP under my belt with a view to getting CISSP later when you decide it's time to make that leap into a more senior or management role.  Hey, having both qualifications can only make your resume that much more attractive to a potential future employer!

Good luck in whatever you choose