Announcements
April is Volunteer Appreciation Month! We want to thank all of our
volunteers for all the hard work they do! Join us in celebrating!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Newcomer II

ISSAP Cert Study

Hello Guys,

I am in the middle of studying for the above cert. If there are others doing the same. how are you getting on ? I have the 2nd Ed book. The new Outline does not exactly map onto the book. what are doing or what resources are you using to bridge that knowledge gap ? Thanks in Advance. For me what I have done to so far is to look at the new sybex book. Need something in depth without reading a whole book for one topic area.

Regards  

10 Replies
Newcomer II

Re: ISSAP Cert Study

I utilized the following:

• 2nd Edition ISC2 ISSAP book
    • Read all online documents referenced in the chapter bibliographies
  • Read all online documents in the ISC2 CBK Suggested References for ISSAP
  • Shon Harris CISSP book (to cover overall topics)
  • The exam outline:
    • I searched for NIST papers and white papers for each of the sections and read them
  • iPhone study question apps - as a way to gauge understanding in the last few weeks
  • Downloaded and read the Jake Eliasz CISSP-ISSAP Loose Notes
  • Downloaded and read the Sunflower CISSP Study Guide
Newcomer II

Thanks for this. I was thinking of reading NIST 144.145,146 and 34. Look at the Mindmap and read the Jake Eliasz CISSP-ISSAP Loose Notes. There is also the Sybex and Sari Greene videos to review.  By the way have you passed ?

Newcomer II

I provisionally passed the exam and I am waiting for the endorsement process to complete.

I took the exam July 2018.

Newcomer II

Absolutely brilliant news. I needed to hear that from someone that has just passed. Thanks for you advise. By the way congratulations. In terms of time scale what are we looking at here. I know I wasted tonnes of time on my CISSP. Don't want to do that again. Once more congratulations on your result.

Newcomer II

Thanks for the congratulations.

I spent about 2 months studying about 2 hours a day.

I found that reading the NIST documents and white papers gave me exposure to things that helped broaden my knowledge.

In the end, having a solid basis in CISSP knowledge was the most helpful.

The CISSP is "a mile wide and an inch deep".  I liken the ISSAP to 1/2 a mile wide and several feet deep.

You definitely need that deeper understanding.

Newcomer II

Thanks so much for you candid insight and prompt response. I appreciate you. Looks like there is a lot of work ahead of mine. Thank you. I will hopefully post a good news here in due course. Here goes nothing Smiley Happy

Newcomer II

One last thing. Did you use a practice test ? If so which one ? Thanks in Advance

Newcomer II

I used the ISSAP iPhone app.

Newcomer II

Got you. Thanks once again for your time