Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
unixgeek21
Newcomer III

Got the official e-mail from ISC2...

Exactly 4 weeks and 1 day when the endorsement application was received by ISC2, I got the e-mail today informing me that I'm now a CISSP!   I will never forget the feeling seeing the most beautiful word "Congratulations!" in the test result on June 12, 2018...it's the same feeling rushing back at me as I'm writing this!   Rush of elation/sheer joy!   The journey from start to this moment has been very emotional..words just can't describe it!  

From people like @Lamont29 for his sage advice's and constant presence in the forums to Amanda Vance for her fast response in adding my middle name to my account and wishing me well for the exam...the support from family and friends...are just phenomenal.    I'm currently reading the book "Give and Take" by Adam Grant...and I can say that you all are great givers!...and I'm eternally grateful for your support!

Looking forward to become an active member of ISC2 as a CISSP!  🙂

9 Replies
Lamont29
Community Champion

I appreciate that acknowledgement @unixgeek21, and I am very grateful that my input in this forum was able to help you. Now the hard part... you have to now push forward and study, not for the purpose of passing a test, but for your life journey of being a professional and remaining relevant in your profession.

Congratulations to you again for a journey well-traveled.

Lamont

Lamont Robertson
M.S., M.A., CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, CDPSE, MCSE
unixgeek21
Newcomer III

Thank you so much @Lamont29!   The test was definitely the hardest yet that I took as compared to other certification exams I've done in the past...the whole process when I started in March this year has been pretty life-changing...definitely a behavioral modification indeed for the better!   I'm able to appreciate and value how I allocate my time and effort in things I normally would take for granted.

Having said that and if I may, would like to ask from you and the rest of the community for any advise/input on what to do next after this achievement.   If you were to talk to your younger self or when you first obtained your CISSP, what would you tell your younger self?   What advice's/tips/suggestions/recommendations to follow or pitfalls/caveats to avoid?

Gary23
Newcomer II

@unixgeek21 wrote:

What advice's/tips/suggestions/recommendations to follow or pitfalls/caveats to avoid?

Keep up on your CPE's.  I had to take the test twice. Cat Embarassed

Lamont29
Community Champion

If I were coaching my younger self, I'd pay more attention to listening than speaking. Often times as young professionals, there's this tendency to show case what you know as opposed to taking in the experience from others. Every environment you go to will be a near-total different experience, which means that you'll likely be retraining at every job you transition to.

This is the difference between IT professionals and Security professionals... IT is very linear, while IS/IA is an every evolving work in progress. Education is continuous in IS/IA. I wouldn't hang my CISSP, CISA, CISM credentials on the wall in that they only validate my performance on a test at a given day. Rest your laurels a couple of months and the base knowledge of these certifications will go out the window.

Remain humble. If you have NEVER been humbled before in your life, this field of expertise is certain to get you there. However, there's no need for despair because all of us IS/IA professionals with any real experience at all knows what comes with the territory. However, the buck often times stops with you.

Make alliance at the job. This is probably more beneficial than anything else. Those working professionals who have not earned their CISSP or any other certification are nonetheless have amassed very valuable knowledge of the business. They possess enterprise / business knowledge that you don't. Use these resources to your benefits. There's that old adage, "Don't offend the critics" is very applicable in the security profession!

Lamont

Lamont Robertson
M.S., M.A., CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, CDPSE, MCSE
unixgeek21
Newcomer III

Twice??? Yikes!  The exam was so difficult that I don't ever want to take it again... Thank you so much for the tip!  🙂

unixgeek21
Newcomer III

As always grateful for your words of wisdom...thank you so much. As I'm getting myself into the security field, I appreciate any advice such as this one to keep me grounded in strong foundation of lifelong learning and continuous improvement.
david-shearer
ISC2 Former Staff

Congratulations! Welcome to the family. David Shearer CEO, (ISC)2
Thanks,

David Shearer
| CEO | dshearer@isc2.org | www.isc2.org | iamcybersafe.org |
j_M007
Community Champion

Right on. Congratulations! Very true about the CPEs. I intend to make a plan for gaining and reporting.

Here is the skinny on the CPEs:

https://www.isc2.org/Member-Resources/CPE-Overview

MDSUBHAN
Reader I

When I received an email from ISC2, I was very happy I feel the same thing It was the happiest movement in my life. 

Congratulations! Based on your examination results, application review and acceptance of your endorsement, the (ISC)2 Board of Directors has awarded you the CISSP Certification. Welcome to an elite network of professionals recognized around the world.