Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dukefingaz
Reader I

Getting CISSP Certified

I have a question, I retired from the Navy in 2013, when I retired I was a Information Assurance Manager, I have a B.S. in IT Security as well. My question is being as that I haven't worked in IT Security in a while as currently I'm doing Helpdesk Administration, does my time as an IAM count for my 2 years or does it need to be current?

5 Replies
jkklein
Viewer

Duke

Unless they have changed the rules and as I recently sponsored a new CISSP you should be good to go.  Who ever sponsors you will identify the experience that is required in your resume and application.   And don't forget that experience is included throughout all 8 domains and your current position will also have some relative duties to at least one of the domains. 

john

Gunner
Newcomer III

Duke,

I agree with the previous post.  I don't see an issue.  It states:

• At least five years of cumulative, paid, full-time work experience
  • In two or more of the eight domains of the (ISC)2 CISSP Common Body of Knowledge (CBK)

The key word here is CUMULATIVE.  You should be fine.  Good luck!

Best regards,
Rick
CISSP, PMP, ITILv3, LSSGB
dukefingaz
Reader I

Thanks for the replies guys. I know now I can proceed with my studies, I have the cumulative from different position I held in the Navy, just wanted to be sure I was good and didn't have to take the associate route.

Kwara1870
Newcomer II

You all right about the ISC2 requirement about at least FIVE years of cumulative experience, they also consider a four year collage or advanced degree will be considered in to the five years cumulative experience. That's what the ISC2 site says https://www.isc2.org/Certifications/CISSP

Thanks

stevefraser
Viewer III

Hello,

Straight from the site:

-At least five years of cumulative, paid, full-time work experience

-In two or more of the eight domains of the (ISC)2 CISSP Common Body of Knowledge (CBK)

Best,

Steve