Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cyberset
Viewer II

Failed the new CISSP CAT exam on April-07-2018

Hello all.  I took the new CISSP CAT exam on April 07-2018 and did not pass.  It was a big disappointment.  I studied the Sybex publisher of CISSP, (ISC)2 Certified Information Systems Security Professional Official Study Guide 7th Edition three times.  I practiced both exams on the actual book and the online version of the exam multiple times and passed above 98% passing score.  The actual CISSP CAT exam test did not cover that much about the book I studied for.  I really don't know if the new CISSP CAT exam designed by (ISC)2 is to make people fail so that they pay more money either to take the exam more than one time or go through the authorized training centers?  I have no idea.  I called the (ISC)2 customer service and expressed my frustrations.  The representative told me that I should not just rely on one source for preparing the test.  "You should study other materials out there" the rep said.  When I asked what materials should I look for to prepare, the representative did not have a solid answer for it.  That was even more frustrating for me.  I any case, I ordered another book which is Official (ISC)2 Guide to the CISSP CBK, Fourth Edition ((ISC)2 Press) 4th Edition from Amazon to study and prepare.  Am I missing something here?  Is there a test engine out there to prepare for the exam besides the books I mentioned above?  Thank you

28 Replies
Jaesimpson
Newcomer I

I took the exam 3 times passing just past Apr 4th 2018. The first 2 time I was using an outdated Shon Harris text, its a great reference book but I would not consider it sufficient to take the exam. The second time I listened to CBK nuggets while commuting and they really help to reinforce things. I ending up getting a 695 on my second attempt. So I understand the frustration you feel and I considered moving on to a different cert.  I finally decided to take the 6-day course offered by Training Camp. It took me some time as I had to do this out of pocket and I don't have a company sponsoring me. I have taken other training boot camps and this is really different. Others I have been in focus only on teaching you the answers to the test where this course helped you understand the fundamentals. There is a great deal of information that is given out during those 6 days, almost like drinking from a fire hose. I think the my saving grace was I am also finishing my Masters in Cybersecurity, so I have been living the fundamentals for the good part of a year. I can say the class really helped me, I took my exam the Tuesday after the completing the class and I passed right after a 100 questions. 

Suraya
Newcomer II

Thank you Denbesten,

Now I recognized why they  are ignored any emails about complaints I have sent. if I did not pass,   grantee money back , I requested it after I failed  but no one replied almost now 2 weeks.

regards,

Suraya

Bthompson68
Viewer

But that does not make sense. If (ISC)2 is The certifying official and their own study guides and exam practice materials are not in alignment, then that is NOT okay! Their education department is creating materials NOT in alignment with the certification exam. No one should have to buy multiple books, especially when you buy them from the certification official.
deeharwood
Viewer

You all don't make me feel comfortable taking this exam for a 4th time.  I failed 3 times not by much, but failed.  I was thinking of doing it a 4th time and now see the CAT test and your responses.  Should I even try this time?  I have a CSSLP, is a CISSP worth it?

mnorton
Newcomer I

What are the areas that you failed?

Get Outlook for Android
N_Bakewell
Newcomer II

Depends on the career you want. CCSLP is about software/application
security, as you know. CISSP is about information security in general
across the business functions - from policies, theory, implementation,
planning, management, review, etc. Not specific to just software
development. So, only a CISSP cert for a software dev job would be less
desirable than the CSSLP. On the other hand, if you’re looking to get into
a management role or a general cyber security role, the CISSP would
definitely be a desirable complement to the CSSLP.
rslade
Influencer II

> mnorton (Viewer II) posted a new reply in Certifications on 07-21-2018 02:20 PM in the (ISC)² Community :

> Get Outlook for Android

And how might that help?

====================== (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade@vcn.bc.ca slade@victoria.tc.ca rslade@computercrime.org
I'm not mad, I'm just ... well, *differently moraled*, that's all
- Acheron Hades in `The Eyre Affair' by Jasper Fforde
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm http://www.infosecbc.org/links
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/rslade

Other posts: https://community.isc2.org/t5/forums/recentpostspage/user-id/1324864413

This message may or may not be governed by the terms of
http://www.noticebored.com/html/cisspforumfaq.html#Friday or
https://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/1468
mnorton
Newcomer I

It won't, just the default mail signature.

Stevo
Newcomer I

I took the new CAT today and didn’t pass. I used two different books, took an5 day boot camp and used three different practice tests since November and still failed. The new format didn’t cover anything from the books I read...it was more vague concepts, but nothing direct, except maybe access control methods. Pretty dissappointed. I think if I had done the older version of the test I would have passed.
Jaesimpson
Newcomer I

Sorry to hear you didn't pass, which boot camp did you take, I highly recommend Training Camp. I think they are the only group endorsed by ISC2. I can agree with your assessment of the test, you have to have a real grasp of Infosec. This test was unlike my other certs because while there is a correct answer, it wasn't always obvious, a majority of the time it was the most correct answer. You really have to read all the answers.