Announcements
April is Volunteer Appreciation Month! We want to thank all of our
volunteers for all the hard work they do! Join us in celebrating!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Viewer

Experience Requirements for SSCP

Hi Everyone, 

So I have enrolled in the Self paced Online course by Coursera for SSCP and although I do have about 4 years of Experience as a Technical Operations/SysAdmin, My Stint for Information Security has started with my new job where i have been working for about 8 months.

I am thinking of registering for the SSCP exams in the next couple of months (8 + 2 Months from Now = 10 Months of Total InfoSec work falling in one of the 7 mentioned domains of ISC2) and then earn my remaining 2 months of experience for a total of 12 months as I have 9 months before I submit my application for getting the SSCP Credential. 

Do you folks think this will be a good option or should I sit as an Associate of ISC2. I believe I have enough leeway considering the timelines. What do you suggest ? 

Sorry for the long post wanted to be as detailed as possible. Thanks Smiley Happy

1 Reply
Newcomer II

Re: Experience Requirements for SSCP

I think that is a personal decision.  If I am understanding your question correctly, you are asking if you should wait a few months and apply for the SSCP certification, of if you should immediately join (ISC)2 as an Associate?

I think the Associate program is great if you are short of experience for one of the certifications requiring more time in the industry, such as the CISSP or CCSP.  

I don't know what tangible benefit you would gain for being an Associate for just a few months.  Unless you are planning to change jobs during that few month window, and think the potential employer would be looking for that designation.  Which I would think isn't common.  

That is just my opinion.  I don't think there is truly a right or wrong answer here.  But, either way, good luck!