cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Newcomer I

Exam cost

Hi,

In the next few months, we will have plenty of time to study at home and possibly less income !!!

It will be great and honorable, if ISC2 can help new or current members, who want to passed new certification, to reduce the exam cost and the online training during this difficult period. 

Best regards,

Pierre Geoffroy CPA, CFE, CISSP, CISA, CISM 

5 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor II

Re: Exam cost

@pierreg I do not agree and think it would be a bad idea. Most of us have had to find ways to make things work and come up with the cost of the exam and the fees there after. I think saying the exam should be reduced just because there is an issue going does not make sense. What's next any time there is war or issue drop the price? Here more so than anywhere else we are supposed to be prepared to handle things like incidents and disasters. You might as well just ask them to skip the AMF for this year while you're at it so everyone can benefit. People will pay for their exams and be proud when they pass...

John-

Highlighted
Newcomer I

"Most of us have had to find ways to make things work"...... talk for yourself not for everyone, please. 

As you know, the situation has change. The cost, not the exam who should be reduced. In Canadian $, it's a bit expensive.

"Here more so than anywhere else we are supposed to be prepared to handle things like incidents and disasters."....WOW....nice answer for peoples in difficulties actually.

"People will pay for their exams and be proud when they pass...".....  i can see your big EGO. 

Best regards,

Pierre Geoffroy

Highlighted
Contributor II

People in security, to me, have to speak up for others so we are able to voice what is need to help secure them. If we cannot anticipate unknowns or know how to react when an incident occurs this might not be the right field to be in. I have worked very hard for where I am and what I have achieved, so if you want to call that EGO that is up to you. I view this an all ISC2 certifications as something to work hard for and strive to achieve and I would like to see it stay that way. If someone cannot afford the cost of the exam there are certainly less expensive exams like Security+ that can be taken, and there are many employers who are willing to pay for the exam.

A pandemic, recession, or what have you is not open season to reduce integrity.

John-

Ps. Let me know when auto makers will be reducing the prices of cars... 

Highlighted
Newcomer II

That certainly is a nice idea! If there are any temporary price changes under consideration by the ISC2, to me it would make sense those to be aimed only for training materials.

Thinking from the point of someone who is considering a certification: - having slightly more free time these days, coupled with some discount for an official book/online class would definitely nudge me in the direction of studying for a certification instead of just lazying about at home, watching movies, playing games, etc. I actually have a colleague that has doubled up his studying efforts now because our company offered to pay for some studying materials for a certificate he is pursuing.

Now, speaking from my point, as someone who has ISC2 certification - I'm quite content with our current benefit of having 50% from the official study books. Moreover, there are quite a few free courses from the Professional Development Institute that I had my eyes set on for a while but kept postponing. If you ask me, any changes in the price of study materials wouldn't make much of a difference to me as I find them accessible at the moment. Yes, the online training has different price (and I suppose better quality) than the study books for an exam so having a discount for it might make more of difference to people that are potentially interested in it. I am not sure how the fees for online trainings are utilised but reducing the cost of them might also have a knock-on effect on the income of the people that deliver them.

As for the exams, I am not sure a price reduction would be the right thing to do at this point. People still need to go to an exam center to take the test. And these places are gradually taking the necessary protective actions in their respective regions, which simply limits availability and builds up queues of exam takers as VUE test for other certificates too. So even if I pay for my exam now, I would still get discouraged when I have to wait for quite a while to take it. Especially if I am aware of it before I pay - then I might postpone it by another year or so.

So in short, reducing the price of some study resources/exam materials for potential new members sounds like a really good honorable incentive in my eyes. Best case - we get more certified cyber security professionals. Worst case - we get a few more people educated about our field and that's it.

Best regards,

Borko

Highlighted
Newcomer I

Helping current members or encouraging  new members in the current situation by with lowering the cost exam has nothing to do with integrity. 

Best regards,

Pierre Geoffroy 

CPA, CA, CISA, CISSP, CFE, CISM, ITIL, ISO 27001 LA