Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Newcomer I

Credential vs. Certification

When I was credentialed in 1999 the ISC^2 used to make a big deal out of the fact that the CISSP was a credential and not a certification. We used to be told not to call it a certification since it is a credential. Certifications are things that you study for and then take a test. A credential is a professional rating. Just like the difference between an accountant  and a CPA, the CISSP credential was supposed to indicate a level of professional experience and confidence instilled by the governing body (ISC^2).  When did the credential change and become and certification? I am just curious is all.

5 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: Credential vs. Certification

@Joro wrote:

When I was credentialed in 1999 the ISC^2 used to make a big deal out of the fact that the CISSP was a credential and not a certification. We used to be told not to call it a certification since it is a credential. Certifications are things that you study for and then take a test. A credential is a professional rating. Just like the difference between an accountant  and a CPA, the CISSP credential was supposed to indicate a level of professional experience and confidence instilled by the governing body (ISC^2).  When did the credential change and become and certification? I am just curious is all.

While I cannot speak to those discussions from 1999, the topic of certificate vs. certification has been discussed. This link can help explain the difference: https://www.credentialingexcellence.org/programdifferences

A credential can be a certification, a certificate or a degree. A certification is more precise than a credential. 

I hope this helps.

Andrea

(ISC)² Community Manager
Highlighted
Community Champion

@Joro wrote:

John,

I earned my CISSP in 2002, only three years later than you, and back when the Consortium members were organizations like ISSA, not individuals. I never saw any guidance of the type you described, so any changes happened close to the turn of the century. We were calling it a certification and  not enjoined from calling it such. As @AndreaMoore said, credential is a general term. A wide range of items are  considered credentials, including passports, national ID cards, law enforcement badges with IDs, drivers licenses, degrees, membership documents (cards), certifications, etc. can all be credentials.

Craig

Dr. D. Cragin Shelton, CISSP
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
https://CraginS.blogspot.com/
My Community Profile
My LinkedIn Profile
href="Not Passing a Cert Exam is Not the Same as Failing" target="new";;https://cragins.blogspot.com/2018/08/pass-rates-for-professional-exams.html
Highlighted
Newcomer I

Craig that kind of makes sense because that may be around the time other off shoots of the CISSP were evolving. It could have something to do with that. I did find this article about differences but even it is not very conclusive in my opinion:

https://www.neha.org/professional-development/education-and-training/differences-between-credentials...

Cheers!

Highlighted
Newcomer I

Highlighted
Community Champion

If you look through the history section on the about us page of the main site, ISC2 still use the "credential" terminology there - the most recent being related to the CCSP's launch in 2015:

ccsp-credential.png