Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BryantLister
Newcomer I

Cissp

Passed the CISSP 1st time, exam ended at 97 questions!
10 Replies
dcontesti
Community Champion

Congrats and welcome to the Community.

AppDefects
Community Champion

@BryantLister wrote:
Passed the CISSP 1st time, exam ended at 97 questions!

How is that possible? It thought you needed a minimum of 100 questions.

BryantLister
Newcomer I

I was under that impression as well. Apparently, with the adaptive testing
it can happen before you hit 100.
AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

@BryantLister wrote:
I was under that impression as well. Apparently, with the adaptive testing it can happen before you hit 100.

First and foremost, many congratulations!

Secondly, this is possible as is stated in the "run-out-of-time" rule:

https://www.isc2.org/certifications/CISSP/CISSP-CAT#accordion-3865ccfbb7b648e1b88984cf89cd25c2

Run-out-of-time (R.O.O.T.) Rule – If the Confidence Interval Rule has not been invoked prior to a maximum time of the examination (3 hours), the candidate’s ability estimate will be evaluated against the passing standard. If, for the last seventy-five (75) operational items answered, the candidate’s ability estimate is consistently above the passing standard, then the exam result is a pass. If, at any point over those seventy-five (75) items the candidate’s ability estimate falls below the passing standard, the result is a fail. The evaluation of the ability estimate in relation to the passing standard does not take the confidence interval into account. If a candidate does not answer seventy-five (75) operational items within the maximum time of the examination (3 hours), the candidate will automatically fail the exam.

Effectively, this means you hit the 3 hour mark but as you had correctly answered 75 operational items in the 97 questions you faced you met the criteria to pass.

NB - operational items means proper questions you are scored on as opposed to the pre-test (or experimental) questions you don't get scored on. 

So, just to confirm, did you take 3 hours to answer those 97 questions?

BryantLister
Newcomer I

Thanks for the additional info on this rule. I finished in 1 hour and 40
minutes.
AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

@BryantLister wrote:
Thanks for the additional info on this rule. I finished in 1 hour and 40 minutes.

That's very interesting as if you didn't run out of time the "r.o.o.t." rule wouldn't apply so you should be governed by this rule which states the minimum is 100 questions:

Confidence Interval Rule - Once the minimum exam length (100 items) is satisfied, an exam will end when a candidate’s ability estimate excludes the pass point with 95% statistical confidence. For candidates with ability estimates that statistically exceed the passing standard, the exam will result in a pass. For candidates that have ability estimates that are statistically below the standard, the exam will result in a fail.

So I have no idea what's going on in this case!

Have you had the email confirming the provisional result yet?

A_seddik
Viewer II

cogrates, wish you all the best , could you please do me a fever and share how to start and what to ready and study as a starting , what is the success roadmap for getting CISSP credintial

BryantLister
Newcomer I

Yes, I did receive the confirming email from isc2
Jeff37
Newcomer I

Congrats... That test is a bugger.
so what study materials courses did you use.  I'm having issues passing.  I have many years of experience as a security analyst and network technician.  But I feel like the study materials and the InfoS*C boot camp are or did  not cover the material as in-depth as need.  I'm currently re-engaging in the studying process.
I used:
the Official (ISC)² CISSP Study Guide, Official (ISC)² CISSP Practice Tests, InfoS*C online live boot camp and its materials, and the Boson CISSP practice tests.
Any suggestions you may have would be appreciated.  I'm doing this out of pocket and need it for the position I'm already in currently.