Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chuxing
Community Champion

CPE planning

Recently I have learnt that one person I used to work with had forfeited CISSP, due to the lack of CPEs. I feel really bad, since I was the one first encouraged and then endorsed the person.

Apparently there was a lack of planning, until the very last moment. Plus this person's management did not see the value of CISSP (surprising, huh). I wasn't aware of the situation until too late. I felt that as a mentor I should have checked in the past three years to see how the CPE progressed. 

Anyway, so the moral of the real-life case is that, you have to PLAN for the CPE. This is a good reminder especially for the newly minted CISSPs:  please have a 3-year plan for how you would go about getting CPEs. It is not difficult, as there are plenty of online opportunities like here at  ISC2, or through other webinars, vendor events, seminars, conferences, your practices. etc. etc.  You have THREE years to complete. So please do not procrastinate !!!

So many postings here on how hard people worked to obtain their certificates, it is really sad to forfeit it because of CPEs

Best,

Community Champion

Also, something one could consider factoring in when doing the planning is accumulating CPEs for rollover, as mentioned in the CPE Handbook. To quote this: 

'For (ISC)² members with cycles renewing/starting on or after 1 January 2015, CPE rollover credits are limited to the number of recommended annual CPEs each year for that credential, and must be earned within the last six months of the three-year certification cycle. For example, a CISSP with a cycle start date on or after 1 January 2015 may only roll over up to 40 Group A CPEs if they were earned within the final 6 months of the previous three-year certification cycle. These rollover CPEs will be eligible to satisfy the annual recommended CPEs for the first year of the next certification cycle. Note that there is no rollover provision for Group B credits.'

For my renewed CISSP cycle, the initial count after some webinars was 5 CPEs, so I had a whooping 115 left to gain, with the status shown below : -

CPE Status - 20190321 - 00.png

I contacted ISC2 Support to ask where all the roll-over CPEs were, after which they added them, & now the status reflects these --- as shown below --- which is definitely a load off my mind : -

CPE Status - 20190321 - 01.png

(@amandavanceISC2, isn't this supposed to happen automatically, rather than members having to contact support to add them? I noticed that another user has also experienced and reported this on the community)

Shannon D'Cruz,
CISM, CISSP

www.linkedin.com/in/shannondcruz
amandavanceISC2

@Shannon Yes, you are correct, the CPE rollovers should be going automatically. Unfortunately, there are some members where they are not properly rolling over and so they would need to contact us to get those updated. This should hopefully be updated soon.

Best Regards,

Amanda Vance

Chuxing
Community Champion

I usually have plenty leftover CPEs to rollover, which certainly ease the planning a bit. Since I worked hard to get my CISSP, I am keen on keeping it for my entire professional life.

Another certification that I keep a closer attention on the continual education requirement is my PMP. It has very similar renewal requirement as well.

Hi there!

If you are looking for a "quick" way to earn CPEs, you can volunteer in your community with the Center for Cyber Safety and Education (charitable arm of (ISC)2). We provide all the resources for free!

Here is the dedicated page for volunteers: https://iamcybersafe.org/volunteers/

Let me know if you have any questions! 

Best,