cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jinxpuppy
Newcomer II

CPE credits required for first year of certification

Hi All and Amanda,

A member of our chapter passed their CISSP exam in August 2019 and is asking how many CPEs are required by them before December 31, 2019.

@amandavanceISC2 can you please help?

Thanks in advance.

5 Replies
Kaity
Community Manager

Hello @jinxpuppy! Certifications run on years based on your anniversary - not the calendar. So if someone becomes certified in August (passes exam, passes endorsement, pays first AMF), then their CPEs are not "due" until their first anniversary. However, we don't really have annual requirements for those. We recommend earning 40 per year throughout your three-year cycle, but it's not an annual requirement the way the AMF payment is. We just ask that you fulfill your 120 CPE credits by the end of your three-year certification cycle. 

So if someone got certified in 2019, your CPEs are not technically due for quite some time. 

It's a bit confusing, but I hope this helped! 

emb021
Advocate I

Let me add a little further information.

Each certifying organization is a little different in how they deal with CPEs.

I have certs from ISC2, ISACA, and GIAC.  And each one is different.

As noted, ISC2 is on a 12-month anniversary cycle, not a calendar cycle. 

If your member got their certification in August, their cycle starts on September 01 and runs thru August of the next year.

ISC2 certs are on a 3 year system, and they USED to require a minimum each 12 months.  Not calender year.

You need to get at least 120 during their 3 YEAR cycle, and as noted, its recommended you get 40 CPEs each 12 month period, which for your member would be September thru August.  So they don't need to worry about how much between now and the end of December.

ISACA, FWIW, is on a calendar system, so certification holders must get a minimum each calendar years, HOWEVER, the first calendar year you're graced and don't have to get CPEs.  So perhaps he thinks its similar with ISC2.

---
Michael Brown, CISSP, HCISPP, CISA, CISM, CGEIT, CRISC, CDPSE, GSLC, GSTRT, GLEG, GSNA, CIST, CIGE, ISSA Fellow
CraginS
Defender I

@jinxpuppy wrote:

Hi All and Amanda,

A member of our chapter passed their CISSP exam in August 2019 and is asking how many CPEs are required by them before December 31, 2019.

@amandavanceISC2 can you please help?

Thanks in advance.

To give the shorter versions of the official reply from @Kaity :

Required? None.

Advised! 40 by August 2020  (so you are on track for 120 by end of three year certification period.)

Craig

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
jinxpuppy
Newcomer II

Thank you for your prompt response. Your answer provides a lot of clarity.

jinxpuppy
Newcomer II

Thank you Craig.