Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Viewer II

CPE Kill Switch

I never got the idea of CPEs and in which way do they bring benefits. I am always joining webcasts, reading whitepapers, books, attending training, etc. But the intention has never been to fulfill the required CPEs. I track more than double and forget to track much more.

It seems the CPEs system has outlived its purpose and its need.

13 Replies
Newcomer II

Re: CPE Kill Switch

It is true that CPEs are not a reliable indicator of skills retention.
The one who is not honest can simply connect to a Webinar, do something else in parallel, and get credit without listening and understanding what was said.
I also saw colleagues attending classical seminars, spending their time on their messaging and daring to ask for a certificate of attendance at the end.
So what to do?
Everyone does not have time to attend a real 3 days bootcamp each year to prove he/she remains operational.

Perhaps CPE are the least bad solution.

Newcomer II

I agree you , this is real issue, i think CPE must be controlled strictly, it would be better that, just attendance on conference will not be acceptable, to my mind  only active involvement (researching, speaker on event, pass exam, publications and activities like this) will be better measurement of real knowledge. 

Viewer II

That's no good answer. I have finally acknowledge I'm a life learner, I listen to podcasts, complete courses with practical exercises, and challenge myself with exams. However, I know too many people who struggle to complete 8 hours of education a year.
Community Manager

The goal of the Continuing Professional Education credits is to encourage members to continue learning and keeping up to date with industry trends, tools and more. It's great that you are participating in continuing education on your own, regardless of the CPE requirements! By requiring a certain number of CPEs, it shows that all certified members are doing what is necessary to stay up to date with this ever-evolving industry. 

We are working to improve the (ISC)²-provided CPE opportunities to be more enriching and targeted than ever before, but are always interested in input from our members!

Viewer II

I agree that alot of people struggle to meet the requirement and of those that do a good amount just "phone it in", and dont really participate, but Iguess it is no worse that someone brain dumping a test every few years.

I am not sure what else can realistically be done to better renew the certification.

At least it is making people think about education, if they are going to game the system, the will do it no matter what process you have in place.

I think ISC2 in general does a good job of giving you options to stay involved and up to date on your information, but each individual still has to decide if they will make the best of it.

Hi all.

I sincerely don't agree with the view that CPE systems are becoming irrelevant in any essence.

On the contrary, I see major players in the EDU/CERT market trendily adopting this good practice and offering their certified audience/user-base/customers/you_name_it the opportunity to prove their tech expertise, their strive to stay relevant and their overall commitment to a given cert's cause via an expanding & diverse methodology (conferences, science/tech papers, literature, exam developement, community participation etc)

some refs-->

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/cisco-continuing-education-program

https://certification.comptia.org/continuing-education

https://iapp.org/certify/cpe/

https://www.juniper.net/us/en/training/certification/news/2016/20161222-continuing-recertification-o...

Looking at a (ISC)2 -(a) long-time pioneer of CPE-like edu_cert programs- can't help but think that the overall organization (management & members) has much more to gain and offer by enriching and further targeting (as Kaity mentions: personally would love to say severe degrees of merit ~aka CPEs~ go towards acknowledged community causes) it's CPE opportunities/requirements/engagements for their certified base.

1) Let's don't forget that relevance and integrity has also been multiply verified in between, at least in the (ISC)2 world (extensive cert CBK requirements & audit phase, exam, CPE audits etc)

2) Let's keep participating, evolving, updating, progressing :::: After all we are all set for a tripleL journey Smiley Wink

Newcomer II

CPE units are as important as the training we took to gain our credentials initially. Possibly CPE's have more influence or importance toward our forward education due to the ever-changing nature of the environment in which we work. 

Each credential has its own area of focus toward which CPE's need to hold relevance. When we begin to question the relevance of CPE's toward our credentials, it may reflect upon the sources of CPE's that we are selecting to invest our time and money in.  Possibly we should be looking for considerably more substantial CPE's that will challenge us further in our professional education rather than to looking to meet the annual requirements per credential.  This approach without a doubt will be beneficial toward our professional development, plus contribute toward what we have to offer our clients in the way of professional services.

Viewer II

CPE seems more like a schooling system, that doesn't actually provide more than attendance record. If you attended any webcast, even the one hosted by ISC2, they are not more than marketing materials led mostly by product or sales manager (15 mins repeated trends, 15 mins why to choose their product, 15 mins product demo, and 15 mins Q&A). Doing one small research on your own, about anything related to your work and involve security, does worth more than any CPE activity.

If ISC2 is serious about getting its members involved and have a better understanding of what is going one, and most importantly, prepare them for the real world, then it is time to change.

What is the harm of preparing multiple courses, not vendor locked, every year for the members to take? Covering many areas, especially of what is new, and members have to take a minimum number of courses and pass a small exam after each course. That would justify the membership fee, better than what is currently offered.

Community Champion

CPE accounting is a slog - I'm just testing to do some training these days and putting it in as it's less messy.

I like the idea from Yahya of short courses and webinars that are vendor neutral.  lot of us work for vendors and consultancies, so while we can all probably admire a nice markitechture it's nice to get down to fundamentals.