Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
(ISC)² Team

CISSPs: How did you prepare for the CCSP exam?

As a CISSP who studied for and passed the CCSP exam, how did you prepare?  What did you find valuable?  Did you learn through self-study, if so, what books did you buy?  Did you attend an official training course, if so, which one?  What was your study plan?  What's your secret for success?  We want to hear from you! 

98 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor I

Re: CISSPs: How did you prepare for the CCSP exam?

For me, I obtained my CISSP back in 2008 and the CBOK's have changed a little bit.

I used Mike Myers Passport to CISSP (about 200 pages) to educate myself on the concepts of the various CBOKs.  When I couldn't understand a concept, I refered to the LARGE CISSP book by Shon Harris to learn additional materials and to use as reference. 

Additionally I had the reference materials from (ISC)2 and the training company I used for the bootcamp. I also discovered that I could teach the material to friends / family / colleagues, it helped enforce the material and allowed me to pass.

Have a least 2 CISSP books and take regular assessments to see how well you're understanding the material.

Review, assess, and review again.

Viewer

Thanks for asking your question.  My journey to the CCSP was different than most.  I had been working hands-on in/with the Public Cloud space for a number of years prior to the CCSP.  My primary reference for preparing for the exam was the ISC2 CCSP CBK.  I had a very consistent study program following the SQ3R method framed within 20 minute study sprints (pomodoros, for those who are familiar with them,) and boiled the CBK down into mnemonic-friendly chunks, then memorized it over 3 months.  This is not as difficult as it may seem but rather a matter of consistent formal habit. 

Highlighted
Newcomer I

I'm using the official CCSP study guide.  I earned my CCSK many years ago and teach CISSP material to IT professionals at the U of Washington (Seattle).  I've worked in the cloud security space for 12 years and I am planning to do a light review of the book and give the exam a shot. Time will tell if I'm overconfident. 

Peter

Peter H Gregory | Executive Director – CISO Services
CISSP, CISA, CISM, CRISC, C-CISO, CCSK, PCI-QSA
peter.gregory@optiv.com
www.optiv.com
Highlighted
Newcomer I

I took a short course, and joined a free study group through the Austin OWASP chapter. Each person in the study group took turns presenting one of the domains, that was the most effective part of my preparation.

In addition the practice exams helped.