cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kwara1870
Newcomer II

CISSP test taking strategy

Greetings all,

I’m one of the CISSP candidate and I have just finished the study group organized with ISSA-NOVA and would like any advice on test taking strategies from your experience.

I know some of the domain are more deeper than the other ones, however I have read the book not entirely yet, listen lectures and I still need to do the practice test over and over. Anything you might shade light for me and my fellow candidate would be really greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,

21 Replies
Kwara1870
Newcomer II

Jantheman,

Thank you for your suggestion once again, however the link you send me takes me to the https://www.cccure.education/register site, I have heard it used to be a free subscription however it's not any more. I know it's a good practice test though, we have used this site to study as a group.

Thank you again.

Respectfully,

Gunner
Newcomer III

The first thing I want to get across to you is that no matter who the vendor is for "practice" tests that you will NOT see anything like them on the exam.  People ask this question all the time.  The practice questions are there to just re-enforce what you should be learning.  It's a "cognitive" exam which requires "critical thinking".  I'm not saying that the practice exams are worthless.  They do exactly what they say...cover the domains.  You need to understand how to put it all together.  Memorization will NOT work.  You need to understand the concepts.

Next here are the list of resources I used for to prepare for the CISSP:

• Adam Gordon ISC2 Video’s
  • David Miller videos on SafariBooksOnline
  • CYBRARY
  • Transcenders w\Flash Cards bought through CYBRARY at a great price
  • BOSON Exams
  • Shon Harris Video Mentor
  • Shon Harris AIO 7th edition
  • Shon Harris 7th edition Hot Spot & Drag & Drop Quiz
  • Shon Harris 7th edition Total Tester Exams
  • Eric Conrad Practice Exams A & B
  • Shon Harris 2010 Video \Audio
  • SYBEX ISC2 7th edition
  • SYBEX ISC2 7th edition Chapter tests
  • SYBEXT ISC2 7th edition Practice Exams (4 exams)
  • Eric Conrad 11th Hour 3rd edition.

More importantly I treated preparing for the exam like a "project".  I formally built a CISSP Study Plan.  My PMP came in handy in accomplishing this.  I started June 5th and passed on Sept 30th .  Completed exam in 3 hr 42 min.  Do not assume that since I completed the exam that quickly that it was easy!!  Just the opposite.  The CISSP exam is as challenging as everyone says it is for most of us.  I truly studied every single day.  My life was pretty miserable at times as I was not about to give in.  You need to be dedicated to the craft.

Good luck on your CISSP journey!!  I've just started on my CCSP journey and using the same methodology.

Best regards,
Rick
CISSP, PMP, ITILv3, LSSGB
Kwara1870
Newcomer II

Dakotad,

I do appreciated the tip, I will defiantly test to see if it works for me the way you do it "read the answers from the bottom up" sounds interesting maybe eye opener to do in a different way than the usual.

I think when you read the choices, automatically you know what it is and you will determine by the question. Once again it's good and interesting tip and we all use it to make sure it works.

Thank you once again.

Respectfully,

Lac
Newcomer I

One important thing when you take the test is that you need a plan.

Ex.: take a rest after some time....go out, drink a coffee......if it seems that you mark more and more questions......let yourselves a little time to cool down

After that you will see the problematic questions from different angle. 

jwilsonjx
Newcomer II

I have taken 3 ISC2 exams. One strategy I like to use is to skip the scenario questions. I save the scenarios until the end. These require some extensive reading and tend to take me out of a "groove" when taking an exam. I prefer to take a first pass at the exam and answer all questions that I am certain of and flag questions I am not certain of. I then take a second pass to answer all of the flagged questions. Finally, a third pass to tackle the scenario questions. Take a break between each pass as needed.

This certainly won't be for everyone but it has worked well for me.

Kwara1870
Newcomer II

Thank you Lac for the information, I think one of the important issue when taking the exam is to manage your time wisely. How many times you go out for rest room break, how much water/coffee you consume or eat that will probably determine your time you use for the exam. So it's wonderful tip and I do really appreciated for that.

Respectfully,

Kwara1870
Newcomer II

Dear Jwilsonjx,

You are right this may not be apply to all, however in your experience it helped you, it may be definatly work someone else somewhere. I will certainly put in to consideration again.

Thank you for the input

Respectfully,

Gunner
Newcomer III

Let me pass on some info that no one passed on to me.  Upon passing my exam, I got my letter just like everyone else.  I saw my picture and congratulations...At that point I just left the center as I had a 92 mile drive home.  Didn't care.  I was on cloud 9.  At a stop light I reached over and read the letter in more detail.  In the second paragraph is states " Please allow 2-5 business  days for your examination result to be transmitted to ISC(2)." as the paragraph right before it stated "Your examination result is provisional in that it may be subject to further psychometric and forensic evaluation..."  Upon arriving home I looked it up and sure enough there were people that their exam didn't count!  After more digging most felt that for those very few that feel into this category were "probably" flagged by the proctor.  That maybe while taking a break something didn't look right, etc...  So my point is while you take your break, etc... do EXACTLY as the rules state.  They say raise your hand and do not standup until the proctor comes over, do exactly that.

I didn't have to wait the 2-5 days though, did get an email Sunday saying Congratulations and that I did pass... That now I could move onto the endorsement process.

Good luck!

Best regards,
Rick
CISSP, PMP, ITILv3, LSSGB
Kwara1870
Newcomer II

Gunner,

This is actually the most important to know during the test time, not sure how others see this kind of tips for anyone who really need to get this thing done in one shot. I do really appreciated for the time to give us such valuable tip during and while in the exam center. That can actually trigger some delay as you have experience so its good to know.

Thank you once again

Respectfully,

stevefraser
Viewer III

CISSP Exam Prep
Here is what I did to prepare. It took me just under two months. Started September 24, 2016 – Passed Exam, November 21, 2016.

1) ISC2 Official Study Guide 7th Edition
2) Eric Conrad's 3rd Edition CISSP Study Guide
3) Shon Harris All In One Study Guide 7th Edition
4) Cybrary.it- Kelly Handerhand video course

So,
1) I read the Sybex (ISC)2 Study guide twice. Cover to cover. Answered ALL chapter quizzes and used the online practice tests. ALL of them. You do not have to do the full blown tests in one sitting but before the exam one should do a few full blown exams to know what it feels like. The 250 questions are 4 inches deep and a mile long. Not one question on the exam was the same as the thousands I practiced with. However, it definitely correlated to the material.

2) Eric Conrad's Book - I read that book cover to cover and did the practice tests in the book and the ones online. Easy read, cuts out all the fluff and added value to my overall experience.

3) Shon Harris All In One - I read some of the book, used the CD that came with it and it really helps gauge what Domains are your weaker ones. You cannot go wrong with this book. I also reviewed ALL chapter/Domain review pages at the end of each Domain (Quick Tips).

4) Cybrary.it - GREAT source and whilst I did not listen to ALL of it, I did a lot of listening while I was commuting, cooking, etc. Just having Kelly in the background going through the material is good. Remember our brains are actually picking up and storing information even if we think we are not listening. I remind my wife all the time .

5) OTHER
a. I made flash cards of concepts, theories, terms. Even the basic ones. I used almost two complete decks of “Heavy Duty” style Index Cards. They last longer and are more durable than the standard ones.
b. I spent a minimum of two hours (many times more hours) in the library. Somewhere quiet is ideal. For me, the Library was great. Starbucks or other run of the mill coffee shops have too much noise (for me).
c. I came up with a study plan and committed to meeting it. Regardless of how tired I was, what else was going on, work schedule etc. I did a minimum of 50 practice questions per day. I was careful not to memorize the questions but understand the “why, how, concepts”, etc. I built some fluff days into the schedule so I knew I would be through my goals 5 days before the exam. Note: it doesn't mean you stop reviewing or studying 5 days before. I was actually studying the day of the exam in a cafeteria (quiet one) where the testing center was. Right up until test time.

6) Remember
a. You CAN do this. If you don’t pass the first time, it is only a road block and not a death sentence.
b. Never, never give up. (Read Winston Churchill's speech regarding this)
c. It will not be handed to you on a silver platter. Figure out your weak points and tackle those.
d. Do NOT waste your money looking for Brain Dumps. They either don't exist or are outdated and you would be better off spending your money on Monster Energy Drink, Coffee, or one of the recommended books.

7) As a life time learner and a Certified Technical Trainer +, reach out to Subject Matter Experts in the Domains. Reach out to me if you would like. If it is in my power to help I will. If not, I will tell you I do not know and provide pointers where I can.