cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ayedem
Viewer II

CISSP exam vs SSCP exam

Hi all,

I recently passed the SSCP exam and want to continue to complete the CISSP exam as well (i have the experience to meet the criteria).

I was going over the material for the CISSP and feel that its very similar to the SSCP (lots of overlap). Has anyone done the SSCP and gone and sat the CISSP without any additional study/prep for CISSP?

In hindsight, i should of just done the CISSP originally.

1 Reply
Geekwired
Viewer III

Hi  Ayedem, 

As someone who started my career with the SSCP, I agree that there is some overlap (which is true for most things in the field). However, these two certifications are wholly different and were developed from 2 different perspectives. In a lot of ways, the CISSP certification holder would find the SSCP exam more difficult as it is for focused on technical application. The SSCP, although considered entry-level, is more designed for the technical practitioner. It covers how to incorporate, build, design and apply security to technology. Alternatively, The CISSP was designed with leaders in mind. It focuses on how to build a program and apply concepts of security to the business.  Also, the frame of reference for each certification is completely different. SSCP tend to focus on more technical application and the CISSP on the business alignment of that application. Also, one important thing to consider is breadth for depth. SSCP has more depth, the CISSP has more breadth. As someone who has both certifications, I'm actually very proud of my SSCP and it helped me to open more doors initially as I, at the time, didn't have the necessary managerial experience. Feel free to reach out to me to discuss. 

Cheers!, 

-Geek