cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Prashanth
Newcomer I

CISSP exam failed today | 07-Oct-2017

Hi All,

I took my CISSP exam today and failed with very bad score 460/1000. I have Started Studying from last December 2016 and took exam today (07-Oct-2017) but failed. 

Below are the study materials I have used and all the practices questions I worked out in understanding of each questions however I have failed with very bad score.

1) CISSP CBK 4th Edition Official Book.

2) CISSP Sybex 7th Edition.

3) CISSP Sybes Official Practice Questions book and Application (Both Same Question Bank).

4) Cybrary CISSP Online training Videos.

5) CISSP Sybex Online Practice Questions.

6) CISSP Boson Practice Questions.

7) CISSP 60 Seconds YouTube Practice Questions.

😎 Syngress cissp practice tests

I am writing this blog to know where I went wrong and wanted to know which study material I need use.

Even if I take any fresh practice questions likes in GoCertify and Skillset, I would be getting more than 85% score.

Planning to retake probably in Jan / Feb.

Thank You...

Best Regards

Prashanth M

49 Replies
Bryiantan
Newcomer II

Sorry to hear that, but don't give up. Keep on studying, a chapter at a time. Make sure you understand the material, try not to memorize it, do some research about the domain and try to understand it from a different perspective. I would also recommend using the audio study materials. You can listen to it while driving, walking, on a bus, etc... Most importantly, during the exam, read the questions carefully!

n_vyas1
Newcomer II

Hello,

I've also got failed in CISSP yesterday & would like to inform you that all listed books by you will just clear your technical concepts only. I had < 10 technical questions out of 107 & rest all questions are purely based on your information security experience. 

You need to judge THE BEST answer from the listed four (4) options which is the most difficult task I felt. Because it is very difficult to judge THE BEST answer when all listed four options seems to be TRUE. Here is the main confusion point which takes extra time.

You can not skip the question because it is based on CAT, not CBT where you can flag the question & review later on. My experience is, old testing methodology saves time as you can focus on the next question immediately & review all flagged questions at last.

2nd thing, I'm working as a System Analyst & has knowledge of  3 domains out of 8, but that didn't help me out because my experience is towards more technical where one needs to perform,

IT Infrastructure Audit using all kind of audit & penetration testing tools.

Making  Audit Assessment report

Making GAP Analysis report etc....

All above work is totally based on your technical expertise for which SYBEX is THE BEST. Everything is covered in that book but unfortunately, the exam format is very different. I thought that it CISSP exam is based on more technical, on which I'm wrong.

That's why 5 years of full time security work experience is must when you've power to make decision as a CISO, CSO, COO, CIO etc etc... being a system admin, my job is to perform audit which is purely technical. 

That's why I'm switching over to CompTIA Security+ & SSCP,  which I assume exam is on technical competency platform. Once I get enough experience, will pursue CISSP. 

CathyCurry
Newcomer I

My understanding of the test is that when you fail, you get the how many out of 700 correct.  From there the print out shows the domains you need to work on as well.  With that stated;  I don't know if I passed or failed last night as I haven't looked. 

laurie
Viewer II

Try not to get too demoralized - it is a hard exam. I was sure I hadn't passed when I completed it and felt very lucky to have got through. It's well worth trying some practice questions from various sources as well as getting plenty of work in on flashcards to practice recalling the material you've studied. 

If you want a longer (49 pages longer) version you can download my CISSP Study Guide for free here. It doesn't teach you any of the material for the exam but covers effective preparation, revision and exam advice. It was written for the 6 hour style exam but most of it is still relevant. 

Keep at it and good luck!

CathyCurry
Newcomer I

thanks Laurie,

I think the reason I am not looking at my test exam is because the day before my MIL was admitted to the hospital with a fractured hip from a fall which ended up being a fractured femur.  I was not in a good place taking it (openly admit it) since her surgery was scheduled for the same time as my test even though I had scheduled the test in advance.  

I will openly admit it was brutal, really brutal even with all the reading and practice exams to include notes.  I believe that my reaction was that the test ended after 94+ questions with 130 minutes to go and I was in pure shock and disbelief.  There wasn't a pop saying I had failed just having the test close with a box stating "Thank You, the Proctor will be with you shortly"  

I signed out, had her fold my results and have yet to look at the paper.  Coworkers want me to look but when you aren't mentally ready for any result it's hard.  Now, I will state that my daughter read it last night in the car but she stated "it doesn't state you received xyz out of 700"   Which is what I would expect if I had failed.  So I'm going to wait a few before I look.

Thanks

Cathy

Bryiantan
Newcomer II

Don't give up. Spend some time to work on the domains that required your attention.

CathyCurry
Newcomer I

I personally don't have any intention of giving up if I failed, it will drive me to focus even more on my goal and if I didn't fail; I will move on to my next goal which is cloud certification 🙂  For me it's about the learning experience to include not just digging up all my KSA's but learning new ideas and systems Smiley Tongue

n_vyas1
Newcomer II

Hello,

As i'm short for CISSP Knowledge as a CISO,CIO,COO thinks, I'm also thinking to undergo SSCP, which covers almost 90% topics of CISSP but the exam is based in individuals technical background.

So, what's your opinion about my selection of SSCP?

Hope that SSCP is purely a technical exam which I'm meant for.
nancy_perez
Newcomer II

Generally you'll want to study up on the areas that you did not do well in. For example, if you didn't get a lot of points on "management" you'll want to focus your studying on that section.

Taking the exam once, as you have, gives you a good idea of what is on the exam, how the questions are phrased, and what to expect. The test won't "surprise" you next time - just concentrate on the areas you were deficient in and retry.

Work experience is also a great teacher.

CraginS
Defender I

@Prashanth wrote:

Hi All,

I took my CISSP exam today and failed with very bad score 460/1000. I have Started Studying from last December 2016 and took exam today (07-Oct-2017) but failed. 

Prashanth M

Prashanth,

Please see my comments today to @atk as she faced the same frustration and sitaution:

https://community.isc2.org/t5/Certifications/Failed-CISSP-Where-do-I-go-from-here/m-p/14216#M2836

Many have given good advice on study and exam approach. My comment is about your mental and emotional state.

The big thing to remember now is that

Not passing a professional competency is a setback, but is not a failure!

Good luck!

Craig

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts