cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Latency
Newcomer I

CISSP concentrations and endorsement

Hi Everyone,

Sorry if this has been addressed already, but I looked around the boards but couldn't find an answer so I thought I'd ask. That said, does anyone know if you have to go through the 4-6 week endorsement period when getting a CISSP concentration like the ISSEP or ISSAP?

Thanks!

9 Replies
AppDefects
Community Champion

In brief the answer is yes. Your experience still needs to be validated before the certification is awarded. 

Latency
Newcomer I

Thanks very much for the answer. I just want to make doubly sure that I was clear with my question. If you have the CISSP already and want to just add a concentration to it then you'll still need to wait for that endorsement period? Maybe I'm misunderstanding something about the concentrations, but wouldn't your experience already have been validated during the endorsement process for getting the CISSP?
denbesten
Community Champion

@Latency wrote:
wouldn't your experience already have been validated during the endorsement process for getting the CISSP?

The devil is in the details. The CISSP domains do not perfectly align with the concentration domains, so the validation also does not perfectly align.  

Candidates must be a CISSP in good standing and have two years cumulative paid work experience in one or more of the six domains of the CISSP-ISSAP CBK. [cite]

Latency
Newcomer I

Thanks for the confirmation!
AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

The only difference with the endorsement process for the concentrations is you don't need an endorser, you effectively self-endorse, but you still need to provide details about your experience, and you still need to wait for the process to complete which is more like 6-8 weeks these days.

Latency
Newcomer I

Thanks! Yeah, 2 months just seems like a long time to get a certification after passing the test. It'd be nice if they could give you an interim certification number pending the endorsement validation or something.
AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

Well, for ISC2, the certification number (a.k.a. Member ID) shown on the certificate will be the same for all of their certifications you earn.

denbesten
Community Champion

@Latency wrote:
2 months just seems like a long time to get a certification after passing the test.

Agreed.  Given that the bulk of the time (i.e. 7.5 of 8 weeks) is spent standing in line, it indicates that staffing levels are not aligned with the workload.  Fixing that is a management issue. Here's hoping that they use some of the new found AMF money to solve this and maybe even improving to the point where they routinely beat their SLAs.

tswern
Newcomer III

Gosh... is it still that long nowadays?

The CISSP certification process was less than 10 days for the tail-end of 2020.

I submitted my application for CISSP-ISSMP more than 10 days ago, yeap, still haven't got approved.

The agony of the wait! 😞