cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Newcomer II

CISSP book enough for the exam?

Hi everybody,

I am studying the (ISC)2 CISSP Certified Information Systems Security Professional Official Study Guide

7th edition. The book is very interesting and gives me a broad overview.

I need to take it one step further, to pass the exam. Before spending more time, I am very disturbed by the post: 

https://community.isc2.org/t5/Certifications/Failed-the-new-CISSP-CAT-exam-on-April-07-2018/td-p/975...

Are all the questions in the exam covered by this book?

Cees Doets 

PS I expect to miss 15% of the questions because I am not a native English speaker + I am not an technician (how many bits is xyz encryption) + I am not American (which bill passed ...). There is very important for me to have a high score on the remaining questions.

12 Replies
Highlighted
Community Champion

Re: CISSP book enough for the exam?

@Cees ,

No single book, or cram course for that matter, can prepare you completely for the CISSP exam. Remember, the exam is designed to check breadth of knowledge and experience over many diverse knowledge domains. The exam is not intended to be passable by a newbie with no experience and only one book or course as preparation.

Every good CISSP study book is meant to give you the basics of what each domain is about, and help you find other resource to learn more deeply about each domain. Each chapter in a CISSP pep book has multiple references listed. study selected items from those reference lists. 

As WIlliam @denbesten said in a CSSLP thread last July:

Re: Not too happy with CSSLP Exam

If you read through these boards, you will find that there is no single source of material that will prepare you for an (ISC)² exam.  The recommendations that you will consistently get are to use many references, to take lots of practice tests and to earn (much of) the required experience prior to sitting for the exam.  (ISC)² exams are all about ability to apply your knowledge and experience in real-world situations.  Although important, "book knowledge" is not enough to pass (ISC)² exams.

=-=-=-=

Several of the 'I failed, now what?' threads here have responses pointing out the need to understand management judgement in information security based on knowledge of he basics. Study Ross Anderson's Security Engineering, 2nd ed. (available free online) for an understanding of that approach.

Keep studying, and good luck.

Dr. D. Cragin Shelton, CISSP
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
https://CraginS.blogspot.com/
My Community Profile
My LinkedIn Profile
href="Not Passing a Cert Exam is Not the Same as Failing" target="new";;https://cragins.blogspot.com/2018/08/pass-rates-for-professional-exams.html
Highlighted
Contributor I

I would Second Craig's comments here.

While studying books will certainly help in terms of knowledge refresh, the exam will predominatley test you as an experienced individiual.

I have heard tales of candidates revising content for hours a day for months and still failing.It's never about the text book, more about the concepts and understanding around managing Cyber within a professional situation.

By all means study, read, and write about all things security, but make sure you get boots on the ground and get yourself immersed in the subject from a practical application stand point. It will serve you better.

Remember, this is not a technical exam, but a far more expansive-breadth-of-knowledge-and-experience-type exam.

Wishing you the best of luck!

Highlighted
Newcomer II

thank you for your replies.

Maybe I am just confused because on the cover page of the "(ICS)2 Official CISSP Study guide"  is written: 

Covers 100% of exam 2015 CISSP ...

Cees

Highlighted
Community Champion

@HTCPCP-TEA wrote: 

While studying books will certainly help in terms of knowledge refresh, the exam will predominatley test you as an experienced

Remember, this is not a technical exam, but a far more expansive-breadth-of-knowledge-and-experience-type exam.

Certification is not about the exam, it is about the professional experience. Passing the exam is not the 'long pole in the tent' to become certified.  Having demonstrated deep experience in multiple infosec arenas, as defined by the CBK domains, is the critical, important, and hard part of the equation.

The exam is to ensure that anyone claiming certification knows enough about the breadth of infosec arenas to recognize which ones apply in a given situation, and also to realize when it is essential to have skills, or learn skills, or hire skills to complete all tasks in a project.

For a more complete exposition of this topic please see the blog post

The What and Why of CISSP Certification

Dr. D. Cragin Shelton, CISSP
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
https://CraginS.blogspot.com/
My Community Profile
My LinkedIn Profile
href="Not Passing a Cert Exam is Not the Same as Failing" target="new";;https://cragins.blogspot.com/2018/08/pass-rates-for-professional-exams.html