cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TakumiSaito
Newcomer I

CISSP Required Experience - How to Count Years

Hello from Japan.

I'm planning to take CISSP exam in April 2019, and I am wondering if my experience would satisfy the requirement as far as its length is concerned. I have Security+ for one-year waiver, so the required experience would be 4 years.

I started working for my current program in August 2015 (I had no previous cybersecurity experience), and I have a plan to study abroad in October 2019, so I am planning to leave the program at the end of July 2019.

If I can be cetified for CISSP, it will be a very good way for me to prove my experience to my future employer, but I am a little concerned because my experience will be like "precisely" 4 years.

Given the above schedule of my timeframe, should I still aim to be certified before I start studying abroad, or should I postpone being certified and settle at Associate status first? (Of course, after passing the exam)

Thanks,

Takumi

10 Replies
denbesten
Community Champion

The way I solve that is to suggest that my endorsees include more than 5 years on their endorsement to ensure a prima facie conclusion is reached.

The more significant aspect to me is that that the job description be clearly aligned to the domains and that the "related activities" were the predominant function of the job.  This is where the rubber truly meets the road.