Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kyle942
Newcomer I

CISSP-ISSAP exam

I thought I would give back to the community and provide some insight into the CISSP-ISSAP exam.

1. The ISC2 book provides a good foundation of knowledge, read the book to acquire knowledge, do not try to memorize the book to pass the exam.

2. Review all the NIST artifacts listed as references to "learn" concepts and terminologies to help with critical thinking scenarios.

3. Review the CISSP domains that map to the CISSP-ISSAP as a refresher /"memory jogger".

4. I took the ISC2 self study course ($1,999) and the material had the depth and scope for the exam topics.

5. Any area, topic, concept that you are not familiar with, search for research material to became a subject matter expert.

6. The memory cards/flash cards are in the weeds and you must understand the theory and practical application of a "best practice "or NIST guidelines.

7. The exam is hard for reason and tests your ability to "think" logical and provide "expert" advice to protect IT systems while increasing organizational performance and reducing risk.

8. I also passed the exam!

Kyle  B

PhD

9 Replies
AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

Congratulations on passing and welcome to the ISSAP club!

s3cm0n
Newcomer II

Congrats!

Radioteacher
Community Champion

@kyle942

Thank you for this write-up.  I hope to take the two-day ISSAP class at ISC2 Congress in October and the exam later this year.  

Paul

AppDefects
Community Champion

@kyle942 wrote:

7. The exam is hard for reason and tests your ability to "think" logical and provide "expert" advice to protect IT systems while increasing organizational performance and reducing risk.

This is wise advice for all certification candidates!

PaulDouras
Viewer III

Is there any word on a third edition of the Official (ISC)2 Guide to the ISSAP CBK being released?

s3cm0n
Newcomer II

I have not heard anything about a 3rd edition being released. I was hoping for some new material to be released before I started studying and took the exam, but it didn't happen. I found the material for the 2nd edition to be sufficient for studying the exam.

Opabolajo
Viewer II

Congratulations and thanks for the detail. 

Mrjfields
Viewer II

Does anyone know or can ISC2 assert when the (ISSAP) 3rd edition is being released?

It appears as if the 2nd edition foundation for the emerging questions, which are current though there is not a revised CBK?  Is that accurate?

AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

I think that now ISC2 have their online courses available for the concentrations (yours for the low, low price of $1,995) there's no appetite from them to update the CBKs.

My advice is to look to the suggested reference list for study material:

https://www.isc2.org/certifications/References