Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ISCMAC802
Newcomer I

CISSP Exam Failure Feb 2018

Just come out of my CISSP exam and found I had failed for a second time.

I have studied using multiple sources.

One Week Training Course.

ISC2 Offical Guide

ISC2 Offical Practice Tests

11th Hour 

Cybrary

Does anyone else find the wording of questions ambiguous. The questions never appear to be constructed in the most articulate manner? They certainly do not follow the same style as the practice test questions in the official guide.

Additionally our test centre was evacuated mid exam so that didn't help the focus. 

Any guidance would be great as I have another 90 days until resit.

Thanks

Mac

47 Replies
Lamont29
Community Champion

I’d say that if your approach to study for this exam is to memorize practice questions, then I’d say that you’re barking up the wrong tree. Learning the concepts is the only way to prepare for this exam. I was well-prepared by the time I had taken this exam based on prior exam prep and experience. About 30-35% of the questions that I know I got right were purely because I had seen the process, worked the process, or managed that process. This test will be very intuitive when you have the right experience along with your study prep and educational background.

Don’t give up. Just take it again. At least you know what you are up against. The questions are ambiguous, but they are supposed to be. If anyone can go and answer questions designed for the novice, then there’s reason to pay us these particular high salaries. Information security professionals are charged with dealing with very ambiguous scenarios.

Lamont Robertson
M.S., M.A., CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, CDPSE, MCSE
j_M007
Community Champion

Well put.

I am reviewing the new Exam outline (https://www.isc2.org/Certifications/CISSP#accordion-7e403e39523740eebc4ea33286435c17) and will assess my knowledge and experience in light of that.

I hope to be able to add my voice to the others who have successfully passed the exam.

Best regards.

Lamont29
Community Champion

I think that you will be just fine with the right amount of due diligence in study habits. Just remember that the more experience you have, the least ambiguity you will find the questions to be. Absent that experience, there will be an overload of study, study, and more study. You will have to learn to answer even simple scenarios a number of different ways... then you know you will be ready.

Lamont Robertson
M.S., M.A., CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, CDPSE, MCSE
CathyCurry
Newcomer I

I will state "Don't give up".  I have had a coworker take it more than once, I'm not sure what he's getting stuck on as he doesn't talk about it.  He's taken every CISSP boot camp work has allowed over the past five plus years, the Cyber Security Cert from the University of Washington, Cyber Security Cert training through Cal Poly which was prior to finishing his Masters Degree in Cyber Security from the University of Maryland and he is now going through another boot camp out of a University in St Louis that is offered on line.  His wife states she will have her PHD before he gets his CISSP!  

I took mine last night, I'm not looking at my results but I know I don't have the "xyz out of 700" on it or so my daughter has informed me.  I already posted my shock out of taking it because most of the study material is technical not higher level.  I reviewed videos and test questions through skill port, CCCure, from the book and practice tests from my boot camp instructor last year to also review his slides that he posted for the class.

I've seen discussions where people talked about the areas they missed, their test scores, that's a guideline to review because each test is going to be different.  I personally don't know how many domains I've worked but it's been several, reviewing the material showed me where my strengths were along with my weaknesses as I have a tendency to second guess my answers.  Taking the test was out of my comfort zone and I admit it especially after the first couple of questions because the fear and trepidation kicked in.  I will state that I did my best to answer the questions from the way each question was worded and hope I passed.  If not I will regroup in 90 days and take it again after I decompress in the next 30 days.

I would state continue to study, if you need to take a different ISC test versus the CISSP do so just to get over the intimidation factor.  I intend to do that 🙂  

CathyCurry
Newcomer I

Mac,

Ambiguity is not the word I would use.  More like, who lets another person write a test question that is so far off topic but mentions a key item to include four likely answers having to choose the best one.  I felt like I went through the wringer but I now know how the questions are worded.  I have stated I'm not looking at my results till the end of the month because of outside stresses but the test was really unbelievable and if anyone thinks the one I had covered all eight domains (yeah right in what universe)  Mine covered maybe four if I am lucky, several of which I am confident in from the tech level not the management level.  The paper might say eight but I would disagree with the way my test was done to include the questions asked that were talked about. In fact I have to go look up a definition because I don't think it went with the acronym that was used in the question.

Cathy

AChan2018
Viewer III

Yes, thats what I agree to. I was fail today.
I found that all of questions has at least one more correct answers of which each of them rogue defined, when standing of different point of views. I was disappointed with this exam and not plan to take twice in term of wasting my money. I had worked on over thousands mock questions presented in official practical test and prepared since Dec 2017. I am barely making around 78% correct of each domain. Tho, I wonder why that is much different performed between practical test book and exam one, neither language style or degree of difficulties.

Yes, I agree that this is full of managerial typed questions in my term. I do filtering out all of possible answers.

I still think CBK is worthy to learn but the exam isn’t as practical as expected / presented in real world.

Yes, I have finished my part as many as I could. Hope, my experience help you guys succeed in nearly soon.
Mario1
Viewer II

Hey there,

On Monday 26th of March I passed the CISSP test CAT with 100 questions. The secret behind passing the test is first, reading the questions carefully and knowing what is the scope of them. Sometimes, a lot of details can exist just to confuse you. So always keep in mind that, whenever you read a question, ask yourself, what is exactly the main purpose/scope of it? After that, do not think/answer like a technological geek because the answers may definitely confuse you, instead, just look at the answers from a high level / lawyer perspective and start by eliminating the unrelated answers and make sure that your choice is in-line with the question's scope.

Second, I only used Sybex as my source, I skimmed the official book and I used Sybex Test bank as my practice questions and I think they are enough. Took me three months of preparation. you don't have to read a lot of sources, you just have to make sure you understand the concepts. In case you don't understand a concept, just google it. Skillset youtube videos are good at giving a simplified explanation.

Good luck with your third attempt.

I appreciate the fact that you are not giving up! keep pushing, you will get there!

Cheers,

Mario

mgoblue93
Contributor I

Does anyone else find the wording of questions ambiguous.

It's not that the questions are ambiguous IMHO, rather the exam tests what ISC2 wants you to know. 

At times, especially for people who are technically advanced, the "best" answer from the real world is not what is the correct answer in the exam.

If ISC2 says he sky is purple, then for the exam, the sky is purple.  When you pass the test, go back to thinking the sky is blue.

HTH

n_vyas1
Newcomer II

Hello Mac,

Sorry to hear that you failed twice.

About me, I spent  3 months for end to end CISSP preparation after official training. I read the official CISSP CBK twice & memorize almost everything from the book. Although, I'm able to give CISSP training too.

After too much dedication & efforts to learn all technical points as per the officially provided CISSP Book, I came to know that the exam is a kind of managerial exam for which I was not ready. Hence, I failed in exam. 

Strange thing  is entire CISSP book is purely technical while the exam question format is almost non-technical. Also I observed that less than 10 questions asked from the entire book...!!!

As I've no confidence to PASS CISSP in my 2nd attempt, I select SSCP & CompTIA Cyber Security Professional (CySA) certification. Both exams are totally based to test individuals technical competency & feel that I'll have more probability to pass them.

My CISSP study is not anywhere waster because CISSP covers almost 80% contents in SSCP. Once I clear SSCP & gain adequate knowledge in the InfoSec field, I'll approach for CISSP.

I must say, without proper experience in InfoSec domain being CIO, COO, CISO - it is useless to appear for CISSP.

So, I stick myself on technical ground as of now.

Please advice if I'm wrong. Feel free to contact.

-Nishith

n_vyas1
Newcomer II

Hello Mac,

Sorry to hear that you failed twice.

About me, I spent  3 months for end to end CISSP preparation after official training. I read the official CISSP CBK twice & memorize almost everything from the book. Although, I'm able to give CISSP training too.

After too much dedication & efforts to learn all technical points as per the officially provided CISSP Book, I came to know that the exam is a kind of managerial exam for which I was not ready. Hence, I failed in exam. 

Strange thing  is entire CISSP book is purely technical while the exam question format is almost non-technical. Also I observed that less than 10 questions asked from the entire book...!!!

As I've no confidence to PASS CISSP in my 2nd attempt, I select SSCP & CompTIA Cyber Security Professional (CySA) certification. Both exams are totally based to test individuals technical competency & feel that I'll have more probability to pass them.

My CISSP study is not anywhere wasted because CISSP covers almost 80% contents in SSCP. Once I clear SSCP & gain adequate knowledge in the InfoSec field, I'll approach for CISSP.

I must say, without proper experience in InfoSec domain being CIO, COO, CISO - it is useless to appear for CISSP.

So, I stick myself on technical ground as of now.

Please advice if I'm wrong. Feel free to contact.

-N.Vyas