Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
clara
Newcomer I

unemployed CISSP questions

Greetings.  I'm hoping I can lean on all of you for some advice. I'm in my 40's, began my infosec career in 1996, earned my CISSP in 2001, CISA in 2007, CISSP-ISSAP in 2015 and am preparing for the CISSP-CCSP exam.  I've been out of work with a serious illness for almost two years.

When I started to get sick my long term health prospects were unknown and I made the mistake of confiding this in my then employer and was terminated the same day for "performance" reasons.  Since I worked in an "at will" state in the US the lawyers I spoke with said it was unfair but expensive to pursue with no guaranteed positive outcome.  While my health has returned my career has not.  I simply can not get my foot in the door with any hiring managers or recruiters!

Have any of you been in a similar situation and if so how did you reenter the security and risk management fields?  Any advice or thoughts would be most appreciated.

Clara

26 Replies
TheKernel94
Newcomer I

Hi Clara,

I'm glad you're now fine and moving forward. I'm also glad to hear the advises of other members of the forum, that provided motivations and upliftment, not only to you but also to people who almost have the same predicament as you. I know finding a job nowadays is a tough one, especially for those who haven't have a job for quite some time.

My story is different, however. I'm having problem transitioning. I am a Philippine Marine vet who came to the US to be with my family. My wife is a Physical Therapist who got a job sponsorhip here in the US. I was in the service for than more 20 years, but had been involve with IT-related jobs for only at least 4 years. I retired last mid-2015, and immediatley took the CISSP and passed. I tried looking for a job, but was having a tough luck for various reasons including tough competition and, most importantly my Green Card (resident card) processing. It is but just unfortunate that I was only given an Employment Authorization or an EAD (which expires every year), and most of the recruiters I have talked to demand either a US-citizenship or a resident card. Last year, the USCIS did not renew my EAD due to legal technicality. My resident card is currently being processed by my wife's employer, including the renewal of my EAD. 

Right now, I am contemplating of taking other certifications which will enhance my chances of taking any entry-level jobs. I am contemplating of taking up CCNA. I know, others might say it is not right certification to take? However, with my current situation, I am willing to go back to square zero, just to get my foot forward.  Then, I wanna supplement that certfication with a CEH  or OSCP certification.

Any advise or help from anyone? Anybody can recommend any volunteer jobs or internship? I just want my resume to be rolling forward.  Any advise or help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

CISOScott
Community Champion

You can't go wrong learning about networking. Same with CEH. If you have free time on your hands, practice with the free tools available online and build you a lab at home. The worst thing you could do is just sit around and wait. Learn all you can in your free time.

TheKernel94
Newcomer I

Thanks! Happy New Year to you, your family and everyone!!!

lwalcher
Reader I

I see the last response to this post was at the end of last year. Have you found anything yet?

TheKernel94
Newcomer I

I got my EAD renewed just recently. I tried applying a couple of jobs, and one Company is I think interested.  I am waiting for their next response, though. 

Nonetheless, I thank you for your interest in replying.  

RABoyd
Newcomer I

Thank-you.  I am in a similar position.  I will do likewise.

Lamont29
Community Champion

I have been in the EXACT position as you. I am a disabled veteran, and my health issues had cost me dearly as it had affected my career and caused me to have to explain gaps in my employment. I did not command the same regard as before. However, information security is a very technical and in-demand career area. Lucky for you, as a CISSP, you can ALWAYS find gainful employment. However, as you are starting back up, don't ruin opportunities for yourself by having exorbitant salary demands, or to be put in roles that an employer may not want to risk putting you in at least initially. Don't shrug the 'analyst' role or title. Often, those roles are meant to prime you up for a more senior role.

Well that's how I got myself back on track. And at 52 years old, I am in with the best of them. You certainly have to be above the fray and prove yourself a lot more, again, at least initially. But as an information security talent, you'd want to do this at all times anyway.

Good luck to you!

Lamont Robertson
M.S., M.A., CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, CDPSE, MCSE