Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Curiousmind18
Newcomer II

is a degree required for entry level cybersecurity jobs?

been having a debate on wether or not one requires a degree to enter an entry level junior soc type of job in cyber security

I'm of the opinion that companies security culture has matured, and most have trained their HR staff to the point they don't list degree as a requirement, but rather focus on skills. Then there's other HR departments that " keep throwing mud, until something sticks". I'm in no way stating that degrees aren't valid, or wouldn't be useful for midcareer, merely that for entry level cybersec jobs they aren't needed, so i want to know what everyone's take is on this. Thanks.

12 Replies
antoniodbrown07
Newcomer I

As a hiring manager (within InfoSec), I ask for a degree or translated years of experience. For example, in lieu of a bachelors, 4 years of work experience conducting security activities. OR a combination of experience and credible certifications.

There has to be some type of credential or trail that verifies your abilities. 

Curiousmind18
Newcomer II

@antoniodbrown07 wrote:

As a hiring manager (within InfoSec), I ask for a degree or translated years of experience. For example, in lieu of a bachelors, 4 years of work experience conducting security activities. OR a combination of experience and credible certifications.

There has to be some type of credential or trail that verifies your abilities. 

First i wanted to thanks everyone for their opinions.

i would agree 1000% with you there @antoniodbrown07, but my post was specific, a degree needed for that entry level job, as it's amusing to see jobs calling themselves entry level but requiring CISSP as a certification. 

To me , which ever way one educates themselves, whether though a degree, certificates or self study, then more power to them, as the important thing is having people with skillsets, least in my humble opinion.

Steve-Wilme
Advocate II

A better way to think of it may not be degree or no degree, but the routes you might take to enter the field.  One thing to be aware of with particular qualifications is that there's an experience qualifier, such as, with ISC2 qualifications.  So looking at if from a potential entrants perspective you can't get the qualification without the experience and it's difficult to gain entry without a relevant qualification.  So I'd go back to look at qualifications that don't have such an experience qualifier, take those first and try to get some parctical work experience in the field.  

You could become a paper CISSP or ISO27001 Lead Audit in week, but to perform well in the workplace you need several years practical experience.  Have a relevant degree or specific industry qualification will give you a foot in the door, but you'll still have to convince someone to hire you.  

-----------------------------------------------------------
Steve Wilme CISSP-ISSAP, ISSMP MCIIS