Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Newcomer I

getting into security

Hi all!

This is my first post as I am really interested in the certifications ISC squared has to offer.  I am currently a network manager with some security experience by default and probably the next step in my career is IT manager.  The question is should I start with the SSCP or go for the CCSP and then onto the CISSP? Is there a normal path to the CISSP?

Thanks,

7 Replies
Viewer III

Re: getting into security

Your path would be SSCP and then CISSP.   

CCSP is preferred after completing CISSP.

Hope this helps 

~Abhijit Naik

Newcomer I

Yes it does help, thanks for the response.  I did hear that the SSCP is being updated for later this year, are there new books coming out?

Thanks,

Newcomer I

With your background you can go straight for the CISSP. Check out this website for free training resources: https://cpetea.com.

Community Champion

My path was Network+, Security+ then CISSP. Then CEH, CHFI, ITIL, etc.

Knocking out Net+ and Sec+ gave me the confidence to know that I knew enough of those "domains" to pass those certifications. I took a year to do all 3, with very hard and focused studying.

Newcomer I

All really good information, I appreciate the responses.  Does anyone know about the new SSCP exam and when the books are coming out?

Newcomer I

The only oficially available information as of now regarding exam is:

https://www.isc2.org/-/media/ISC2/Certifications/Exam-Outlines/SSCP-Exam-Outline-Nov-1-2018.ashx?la=...

My guess is like with the new CISSP - 1st would come Official Study Guide from Sybex somewhere in November and then other books/tests/etc.

Newcomer I

I went straight for the CISSP. There's no prerequisite certifications, nor a set "path", for the CISSP. So if your goal is the CISSP, I would recommend going straight for it. I would also recommend a lot of studying and a training course/bootcamp.