Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor III

Re: Understanding Associate of (ISC)2 Status

You can find all of the answers to your questions in the links I've posted below, but I've also included some relevant pieces of information for you...

https://www.isc2.org/Certifications/CISSP/Experience-Requirements

A candidate who doesn’t have the required experience to become a CISSP may become an Associate of (ISC)² by successfully passing the CISSP examination. The Associate of (ISC)² will then have six years to earn the five years required experience.

https://www.isc2.org/Certifications/SSCP/experience-requirements

A candidate who doesn’t have the required experience to become an SSCP may become an Associate of (ISC)² by successfully passing the SSCP examination. The Associate of (ISC)² will then have two years to earn the one year required experience.

If you aren't able to earn one year of experience in at least one of the seven domains of the SSCP (1. Access Controls, 2. Security Operations and Administration, 3. Risk Identification, Monitoring, and Analysis, 4. Incident Response and Recovery, 5. Cryptography, 6. Network and Communications Security, 7. Systems and Application Security) in your current job then perhaps you could also work part time in a security role?

Part-Time Experience: Your part-time experience cannot be less than 20 hours a week and no more than 34 hours a week.

1040 hours of part-time = 6 months of full time experience
2080 hours of part-time = 12 months of full time experience

Or another option would be if you have a suitable bachelor's degree (or whatever your regional equivalent is):

Candidates may satisfy the one year work experience requirement if they earn a degree from an accredited college or university or regionally equivalent education program. For purposes of certification, (ISC)² looks for the following characteristics of an approved cybersecurity degree:

1) The degree originates from a cybersecurity program which addresses cyber, information, software and infrastructure security topics within its requirements;

OR

2) Is one of the following preapproved degree programs:

Computer Science
Computer Engineering
Computer Systems Engineering
Management Information Systems (MIS)
Information Technology [IT]

The list of preapproved degree programs will be updated periodically.

Viewer II

I currently have Associate of (ISC)² Toward SSCP, but I just finished all the cpe requirements across the 3 year cycle, what do I need to do to get it changed to the Certification? or will it happen when I hit the date I originally took the exam?

Contributor III

Some points you should note:

1. The Associate for SSCP only last for a maximum of 2 years and that's a fixed term as opposed to a revolving cycle - the term "3-year cycle" only applies to the full certification
  2. Associates have a "suggested" annual requirement of 15 CPEs so if you are still an Associate in the second year supposedly you'd still need to submit 15 CPEs even if you'd submitted 30+ in the first year
  3. The purpose of the Associate programme is to allow you to gain the required work experience to qualify for the full certification which for SSCP is 1 year - work experience is gained through employment not through earning CPEs
  4. The point of earning the CPEs is to allow you to keep the Associate status so that you can have time to gain the work experience
  5. Once you have gained the required work experience you need to submit an endorsement application through the member portal and have that application approved to be granted the full certification

@Althaeis Thank you for your inquiry. I am happy to look into your profile and provide more information on how to request full certification. Please email me directly from your primary email address on file and include your (ISC)² ID number.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

Amanda Vance

avance@isc2.org