Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bdhildreth
Newcomer I

Security + Cert

Hello all, I am currently studying for the CompTIA Security + certification and am thoroughly enjoying it. I am reaching out to others who hold this certification to ask if they have any pointers about study materials that helped them or specific disciplines I should focus on over others. 

Thank you in advance. 

B.

7 Replies
Rossva
Contributor I

Hi there! Get yourself Darrel Gibson’s study guide, the only guide I used to pass this. Also look up professor messer on YouTube, with these two resources you’ll be best prepared. The 501 exam is a great introduction to lead into CISSP.
Spoon2k
Newcomer I

Hello,

I passed the Sys 401 exam prior to me passing the CISSP and one big advice I would say that helped me passed the Security+was me reading Darril GIbson's book and purchasing his online premium content.  They were very well put together and praised by many if you go on other forums such as Reddit, etc.  Good luck and wish you all the best.

bdhildreth
Newcomer I

Thank you I will look into those resources

CISOScott
Community Champion

Check with your local library to see if they subscribe to Safari books online. My local and state library have a subscription and it is free for library card holders. It allows you to view a lot of tech books online for free. They usually have several Security+ books in there. That way you can read the books and if you decide they are really good and you wish to hold them in your hands or mark them up, then you can go buy them. It allows you to view books on all kinds of resources for free. I recommend reading several books as you will pick up the data by repetition and some authors explain it better depending on your learning style.

sergeling
Contributor I

For me I took advantage of the 1 month free trial of pluralsight and watch the course video about Security+ there. Many have suggested Jason Dion's course video but I heard abut the suggestion after I passed the exam.

DaniTruth
Viewer II

I took the CompTIA Security+ exam first and found that exam to be extremely difficult.  I used multiple books (All-in-One and Mike Chapple's Security+ practice tests) and online training videos (Lynda.com, UDemy and Cybrary).  Some of the books came with access to online testing programs.  These were the MOST helpful.  The time allotted for the Security+ exam was barely enough to complete the multiple choice questions and then you had the performance questions to complete as well.  The questions felt more like they were testing my reading speed and comprehension rather than my knowledge of the material.  I took someone's advice on skipping the performance questions and answering the multiple choice questions first which was a great test strategy. I highly recommend it. I was able to budget my time this way.   Even though I passed the exam by a good margin, I found the exam experience to be unnecessarily stressful and frustrating.  90 questions in 90 minutes wouldn't be bad if they were straightforward but these questions were lengthy and complex.  You have to sift though the unimportant information to get to what the question is really asking.  Another tip would be to read the answers first and then read the question.  This can help it go a bit faster.  The experience was so stressful, I will not take another CompTIA Exam!

A few months later, I took the SSCP exam and passed as well.  The content in the two exams were very similar but the SSCP had a few additional items which needed to be studied (Access control models:  Biba, Bell-LaPadula, etc.)  The questions were straight-forward and there was more than enough time to complete the exam.  I had a firm understanding of the materials being questioned, the exam experience was much more relaxed as a result.  I currently studying for CISSP and CRISC Certifications.  Good luck!

Rossva
Contributor I

I kinda relate to this. I didn’t struggle with the Sec+ 501 exam but I did run close to the time limit, think I had about 20 mins left. Compared to CISSP where I passed in around 55 mins, so had 2 hours spare.

Weird! Guess I was much more prepared for the CISSP!

I guess a load of stuff can affect your performance on the day