Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CraginS
Defender I

Research Before Hitting Send

This is a reminder to all who are sending out resumés to companies and networking connection requests to individuals: DO YOUR RESEARCH before hitting send or submit.

Don't just read the job announcement; dig through the company's web site to learn about them: where they are, what they do, how they operate, and anything else you can glean from the site, their marketing campaigns, and their annual reports. Then, you can customize both your resumé and cover letter to show you know and care about them.

As for personal networking that is essential throughout your career. But do not just throw out bland emails and simple connection requests on here or on LinkedIn. Learn about the person you wish to connect with and actually get to know the individual and help them learn about yourself. This note is prompted by my recurring experience on LinkedIn, where I regularly receive connection requests by folks who have not bothered to look at my profile other than a quick glance. The "About me" section on my profile opens with,

"Note: I accept LinkedIn connections only from individuals I actually know from direct interaction, either in person or online. (I am not active on Twitter or FaceBook.) Please use direct e-mail to contact me: Dr.Cragin@icloud.com "

Yet repeatedly folks I have never heard of send connection requests. 

Don't be that person.

And, good luck on the continuing quest for work and interaction

Craig

<added> I think I can safely assert that no one ever got a job because of a large number of "friends" on FakeBook or large number of connections on LinkeDin.

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
0 Replies