Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wyldbull
Viewer

Post CISSP Training

So I 'm looking for some advise. I have had my CISSP for a few years now and I have been able to use the many conferences for my continuing education credits. Given the uncertainty of post-COVID19 conferences, I am looking for recommended training classes (both as refresher and continuing education). There seem to be a plethora of training classes leading up to your CISSP; however, I have not been able to find a training path for AFTER certification. Thanks in advance.
4 Replies
CraginS
Defender I

@Wyldbull wrote:
.... There seem to be a plethora of training classes leading up to your CISSP; however, I have not been able to find a training path for AFTER certification. Thanks in advance.

Ronald,

There are more information security, cybersecurity, and privacy training programs than anyone here can count. I suspect you have been searching in the wrong manner. Do not look for training using "CISSP" as a search term.

Pick each segment of infosec you are interested in or working on and seek courses  for those aspects. How about law, hacking, cryptography, threat analysis, privacy law (e.g. GDPR a& CCPA), cloud security, intrusion detection and prevention, compliance, risk assessment, identification & authentication, project management, systems engineering, as starting points? Pick any chapter in Ross Anderson's Security Engineering and seek more education on the topic of that chapter. 

Also review the guidelines for Continuing Professional Education (CPE). 

Good luck. You will not have the time or money to work on even a tiny fraction of the course and training programs available.

Craig

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
emb021
Advocate I

See Craig's posting above.

Taking training courses is great, but you can keep up your skills and knowledge in other ways that will also get your CPEs.

Reading and studying related books, magazines, blogs, and videos.

Join an infosec or infosec related organization such as ISSA, ISACA, Infragard, etc and attend their meetings (now often on-line).

On Craig's point about focusing on different areas.  Some of these could be aimed after going for other certifications, such as in the area of pentestings, cloud, risk, BC/DR, privacy and more.  The are more focused specialty certs that can show you have expertise in specific areas.

---
Michael Brown, CISSP, HCISPP, CISA, CISM, CGEIT, CRISC, CDPSE, GSLC, GSTRT, GLEG, GSNA, CIST, CIGE, ISSA Fellow
TI
Viewer II

With the current situation several online training sites offer free classes. If your employer offers training you can use some of those training classes for your CPEs. I would suggest subscribing to a security magazines. Many have online presentations that come up with the digital subscriptions.

CISOScott
Community Champion

What excites you about the field? Is there something that peaks your curiosity? I suggest going down that path rather than just chasing whatever Infosec thing pops up. Like others have said, there are plenty of opportunities out there. I suggest trying to find your niche or thing that interests you. Infosec has many fields you could expand into: law, privacy, forensics, cloud, firewalls, anti-virus/malware, policy, leadership, etc. Finding what interests you will benefit your career and work-life balance.

Another tact you could take is to try to see where the job market is going or lacking and see if you can expand your skills in those areas. Take a look at some job boards (dice.com, indeed.com, etc) and look for jobs that you would like to have and see what they are asking for in experience or training and then pursue those training's. You may find that you either don't like it or you do like it and wish to pursue it more. 

Don't forget to take some leadership and management courses (yes there is a difference!). Even if you do not get into management/leadership, having experience in those traits will help your career.