Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ashl
Newcomer I

New CISSP for career direction

I just passed the exam (a pat on my shoulder! :)) as my career primarily built on application support and maintenance delivery and management, never thought I could make it without relevant experience whatsoever. As there are not many opportunities in Asia yet, where and how to get a job to start this endeavour?
14 Replies
alex_vk
Viewer

Hi, there and congratulations on passing the exam!
I can't speak about CISSP opportunities in Asia, however CISSP ,as a requirement, or at least a minimum requirement, is in many job descriptions for Information Security Engineer and higher up into management now these days. US DoD has approved CISSP as a baseline certification at IAT level III
DaveTheITGuy
Newcomer I

Well based on your own admission (quoted at the bottom of this text), I do not think you will actually be awarded the CISSP because you comment you don't have any relevant experience whatsoever. If you don't have the 5 years of experience, the best you could do is be awarded an Associate designation. I'm pretty sure though if you call yourself a CISSP or put yourself out there as one professionally before actually being awarded the designation,  you would be violating the Code of Ethics and would get permanently barred from ever being actually called a CISSP.

I might be wrong in my entire interpretation here, but if I am wrong, then I'm disappointed in the ISC2.

Passing the test is but one step in the journey. 

@Ashl wrote:
I just passed the exam (a pat on my shoulder! :)) as my career primarily built on application support and maintenance delivery and management, never thought I could make it without relevant experience whatsoever. 

David Howard, CISSP, C|EH, MCSE
www.bringyourownsecurity.net
@dtigcincy
Ashl
Newcomer I

I’m well aware. I should labeled myself as Associate. As a new member, I was introduced to this place as trusted community where I can seek guidance or mentorship on how to go abt getting the work experience.
nagarajan
Contributor I

Hi Ashl,

From your initial post, i understand that you have experience in application support. You may check for application security as it is one such area where you can start looking for jobs. I have met starts ups and found that many of them haven't realised the need for protecting their websites.

If you can build some skills in application security then you can approach startups and offer your assistance if they give you a job or you may offer your services for free so that you get some experience.

Read OWASP, CEH training/skills can boost your changes of grabbing a job.

Cheers,

Raj

Regards,
Nagarajan Viswanathan (Raj)
CISOScott
Community Champion

Also remember this: IF the place you are working does not have good security practices, part of your duty as a CISSP is to enlighten them and increase the security posture of where you are. By doing this in the right way, you may be able to create your own career path. I have done this and it has led me to rising to the CISO role, as well as CIO and deputy roles in both CIO and CISO. I looked around for security jobs that were not being done and volunteered to do them, without asking or demanding that I be compensated for doing them. I used the experience I was getting in doing them as my pay. I then had the resume qualities to get those higher paying IT jobs, which I then parlayed into those C-level positions.

A lot of my coworkers had the attitude of "If they are not going to pay me. then I am not going to do it." That attitude kept them from advancing when the new jobs came open. I gained more experience than they did and advanced faster than they did. So look for jobs you can do. Offer to take on new roles as your company allows. Build a home network and practice with free tools that are available online.  You are in charge of your career, not your bosses. If you wait for them to train you, then you will advance just as slowly as the rest of your coworkers.

Caute_cautim
Community Champion

HI, Have put forward a good linkedln profile and self advertised?  Security opportunities are rapidly growing in Asia-Pacific.   Have you approached organisations, you would like to work for or researched the type of opportunities you are looking to grow your career and experience with?   Passing the CISSP is a good positive step forward, but as previous replies have stated, you need to grow your experience.  Do you have any particular interests or have you looked to communicating with local security groups with peer groups?

@Ashl wrote:
I just passed the exam (a pat on my shoulder! :)) as my career primarily built on application support and maintenance delivery and management, never thought I could make it without relevant experience whatsoever. As there are not many opportunities in Asia yet, where and how to get a job to start this endeavour?

Ashl
Newcomer I

Thanks for your wise counsel. I’m a big believer of nobody whoever gave their best regretted it. 🙂
Ashl
Newcomer I

I got linkin profile created just a month ago, just not sure how to go abt advertising!
How do I approach organisations? Not so common in Singapore. 🙂
Caute_cautim
Community Champion

Hi Ash

Suggestion, be bold:  https://www.indeed.com.sg/jobs?q=ibm&l=singapore&matchtype=b&network=g&device=c&devicemodel=&creativ...

There is a parameter within Linkedln to indicate to organisations that you are available for a position.

Write an interesting blog, about your experiences passing the CISSP for instance - get yourself noticed, people will soon commence knocking on the door. 

Don't for them, get active, and socially aware by looking for interesting posts and show that you are interested.